• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Rear Wheel Bearing (Drum) Correct Order?

johnnyboy666

Ive got a new wheel bearing kit and a new drum, I'm just not quite sure which of the extra bits that came with the kit go where (or if they are needed)post-9599-0-25298200-1380303520_thumb.jpg

the parts are, nut and washer, rubber seal (?), circlip, bearing and a cup type thing.

If anybody can advise what goes in what order that would be great. Had a look in one of my haynes manuals and it says that seperate wheel bearings aren't available, so it must be an old copy, I'm not sure where my other one is though.

and on a slightly related note, would it be advised to smear cooper grease on the seating faces before pressing? and are these bearings pregreased, or should I grease them up? and finally, is it ok to put the bearing in the freezer, and heat up the drum to ease fitment?

Cheers

John

welshpug

if you haven't a press then bosh the drum in the oven for a bit and the bearing in the freezer for a few hours, in theory it'll slide together by hand then

(disclaimer, I haven't actually done this with this particular wheel bearing, but have done with the bottom engine mounting bush, but the theory is the same!)

the cup sits against the back of the bearing, rubber seal sits over the collar/spacer on the stub axle against the cup.

washer goes on the outside under the nut, and you should know where the circlip goes :P

a bit of grease in the circlip groove would not go amiss as they can be absolute buggers when they are stuck in, though to be honest if its a good quality bearing and its just a road or track car I would not envisage changing one again in the lifetime of the vehicle!

no need to add grease to the bearing itself, they are a sealed unit.

Edited by welshpug

Daviewonder

if you haven't a press then bosh the drum in the oven for a bit and the bearing in the freezer for a few hours, in theory it'll slide together by hand then

You reckon this might work with a trailing arm and shaft?

johnnyboy666

when you say the cup sits at the back of the bearing, do you mean you put it in before you put the bearing in? and which way round does it go? and what does the cup do exactly?

welshpug

put it in after pressing the bearing in, the seal sits against it.

Tom Fenton

If you want to ride up here I'll press it in for you.

johnnyboy666

Cheers! I may well take you up on that offer for the fronts after they've had some bridgecraft treatment, Tom.

Update, I got the bearing in piece of piss by leaving the bearing in the freezer for a day or two, then sticking the drum in the oven.

It slotted right in, without even needing so much as a tap.

I may well have overdone it in the oven though, I stuck it on 240 degrees and left it in for half an hour, thinking it would take forever to warm up, but I was wrong! It was much too hot when it came out and might've melted some of the grease out of the bearing!

Hopefully it'll be ok though!

EDIT- circlip is a ****!!!!

Edited by johnnyboy666