• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rams_gti6

Rear End Too Light?

Rams_gti6

I've just stripped out my 205, I'm now having concerned it's too light at the back? It's got a gti6 engine so plenty of weight up front but worrying none at the back now. Will this have a adverse affect on the handling and how can I get over this without the obvious chuck some lead/paving slabs, Sarcasm not required thanks lol

Anthony

It will be fine - what you've likely removed from the back (spare wheel, rear seats, plastics etc) really didn't weigh much in the grand scheme of things anyway, and much of it would have been in front of the rear axle line anyway.

You could relocate the battery to the rear to help offset the extra weight at the front.

Rams_gti6

Thanks for the reply, also got my cage going in next week so that's another bit towards the rear. 50:50 distribution is supposed to be ideal isn't it I wonder what a 205 is?

Batfink

70:30 at best. It's affront heavy car when stripped but that's not necessarily a bad thing

Mac Crash

light rear end isn't an issue unless badly driven...

I won't teach you to suck eggs but damn I'm old enough to do so, heh heh! so unless you can't already then you need to learn to balance the car through your driving, slow in, fast out, throttle through the corner and full power when you see the exit/kiss the apex... if you need to lift off then you got it wrong... our car somehow got this reputation for lift off oversteer (some small part due to the original Michelin MXV tyres, a bigger part due to the in-built, inherent nature of light, reasonably powerful, transverse engined FWD cars, but mostly due to bad driving) which is considerably exaggerated by the latter... if your in trouble then you need to be a little bit brave with this car, this is my only main recommendation to you from personal experience, others may and probably will disagree, but I grew up with this car in the early 90's and I seen four young men who are no longer here, going too quickly and the wrong reaction when they got it seriously wrong and the results... so I'm sorry if I dampen anyone's spirits it's just I see a lot of young drivers today who do not know or understand how to balance a car into corners.. yet once they have been coaxed and shown, turn into 100% better, quicker drivers... and importantly safer because of it too.

Mate used to run a 3.0 litre V6 Ford Capri back in the late 80's - he carried a bench vice in the boot to try and balance the car out a bit, bugger crashed every car he ever owned so yeah, it's all down to you, driver counts every time in my book!

Rams_gti6

Good advice. I'm not saying it doesn't handle well, I'm yet to drive it. Hopefully cadwell on Wednesday will answer a few questions! One been whether I'm capable or not!

welshpug

You should see how light Colin Satchells 205 is at the back, no rear light cluster light innards, no boot hinges, catch, lock, wiring, no inner skin behind the wheelarch!

Mac Crash

Hopefully cadwell on Wednesday will answer a few questions! One being whether I'm capable or not!

We're all perfectly capable within reason... I'm sure you will do fine, just relax and build it up slowly to your ability... gti6 at Cadwell Park, hmmm, I'm jealous :D

Rippthrough

You should see how light Colin Satchells 205 is at the back, no rear light cluster light innards, no boot hinges, catch, lock, wiring, no inner skin behind the wheelarch!

Good = less weight at the rear = more traction at the front!

Rams_gti6

Back to report cadwell went well the morning session was a washout and my car on semi slicks was entertaining to say the least the rear

was very alive! Afternoon session was perfect though dried up fully throughout lunch break. Downloaded Harry's laptimer app bit naughty

to use on track I know. My times varied throughout the day with traffic etc but managed a best of 2:03 which I was quite happy with after

speaking to few others using same app and been my first time out!. Hope to get under 2:00 next time out

stu8v

Thats a good start. Before you know it you will be pulling pieces off and making it go faster. Lol

I'm aiming for 1.45's next year :-)

Rams_gti6

I was worried I was slow after looking at people's times on various forums but suppose it's to be expected with my previous minimal track experience! I struggled with finding good lines on some corners and after a few youtube visits I've seen already where I was losing time. Sadly she's already fully stripped going to have to improve my driving to lower my times and a few suspension tweaks!