• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mowflow

How Do I Get This Bolt Out?

mowflow

As everyones bump stops are in varying states i thought I would ask what the experts think would be the best method for dealing with mine.

On one side i tried the blow torch then using a punch to try to take a nick in the side of the bolt and hammer it round but it didn't budge. Any other options before I make my first ever attempt at grinding, drilling and re-tapping before resorting to just glueing some on.

post-23544-0-24668200-1380277029_thumb.jpg

post-23544-0-42327700-1380277037_thumb.jpg

Tom Fenton

You may be able to shift it with Irwin nutgrips. If not, try grinding the head off then drill into the stud (as central as possible) and try with reverse flute extractors. If that doesn't work then drill 6.8mm and re tap M8, that will only work I you got the drilling central. If all else fails you can helicoil the hole back to M8. Final solution is weld the cup to the car then fit the rubber.

allye

Drilling a hole and using the reverse extractors is a good bet, they are great little jobs! Reasonably cheap too, even for a decent set.

Anthony

Just be careful using them, as if you snap one in the hole, you're in a whole world of hurt trying to get the remains out.

You might be able to weld a nut to the remains of the bolt and extract that way possibly? Irwin bolt extracts like Tom mentions are brilliant, but I think in your case they're not going to work given the shape of the bolt remains.

Last one I had that was as bad as yours appears to be I ended up drilling out and re-tapping - not too bad, just have to make sure that you get the pilot hle central and straight!

DamirGTI

You might be able to weld a nut to the remains of the bolt and extract that way possibly?

That's how i removed them snapped bump stop bolts :) .. quick and clean method . If you have an welding machine i'd try that first , 99% sure that you'll get it out this way .

D

mowflow

Cheers people. Think i'll give the welding a nut on solution a go first. I didn't understand most of the words in the other solutions and it's highly unlikely that i'd get a pilot hole straight or central so the welding stands the best chance.

Plan B will be to grind down and weld the cups on. Ta much.

Simon a

I hammered a socket on and used a windy gun worked a treat on both