• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
forbeslongden

Stdt Coil Springs

forbeslongden

Hello there guys,

My 205 STDT came back from the MOT after having £500 worth of brake work done with a list of advisories one of which being that both my front coil springs are corroded. My question is this, can I buy springs designed for the 1.9GTi and get them fitted without any modifications? I assume it'll lower the ride height but will they go on alright and not effect the car?

Thanks guys

omega

just take them off clean and paint job done,

welshpug

as above!

forbeslongden

That's a good plan but I'm taking it to a garage to get the work done so I doubt they'll be too happy with me suggesting that haha! Would GTi springs bring the car to 1.9 ride height?

Miles

It would be even lower with the Iron block under there

forbeslongden

It would be even lower with the Iron block under there

Ah yes, I didn't think of that..... The wheels on the STDT are 14's if I remember correctly so it should ‹ still be alright though?

Edited by forbeslongden

welshpug

Doesn't matter what wheels you have, it'll still sit lower!

forbeslongden

Am I likely to encounter scraping or is it just best to stick to factory spec springs / get the ones fitted refurbed?

welshpug

if you stick the VIN into servicebox you may be lucky in that its late enough for the data to be still on there as to what springs it should have, as there are 4 or 5 different ones listed, or if you can find the paint marks on the spring itself you can narrow it down.

two of the 4 are still shown as available and were used on newer vehicles like the 106 with a TUD5 or a phase 1 306, and the partner van.

forbeslongden

if you stick the VIN into servicebox you may be lucky in that its late enough for the data to be still on there as to what springs it should have, as there are 4 or 5 different ones listed, or if you can find the paint marks on the spring itself you can narrow it down.

two of the 4 are still shown as available and were used on newer vehicles like the 106 with a TUD5 or a phase 1 306, and the partner van.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-Coil-Spring-Peugeot-205-1-8-Hatchback-10-1983-09-1996-/320926147176?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ab8b06268

Aren't these the ones though?

Anthony

GTi springs on a STDT lower the car compared to a GTi, but not excessively so, and the resulting ride height is pretty nice.

dscf2948zi1.jpg

That's Pug_ham's old 205 STDT that was on GTi springs from memory (possibly 309, but it'll be about the same height either way)

That said, all original 205 springs will be corroded these days - usually it's just surface and not an issue, just an over-zealous MOT tester.

forbeslongden

Was that with a 1.9 rear axle as well, or just the standard STDT one? Looks just the right ride height.

Anthony

Not sure what spec beam was fitted, but you'd need to lower whatever to suit the front anyway.

forbeslongden

Okay, so the front and back are capable of having 1.9 springs, I figure I might as well get all four changed to these to give the car a little meaner look.

Anthony

There are no springs on the rear - it's a torsion bar based suspension setup, the torsion bars themselves being the rear "springs" so to speak.

forbeslongden

Ah I see. can it be costly to get it lowered to match the front?

Anthony

Depends what state the rear beam is in and how seized in place the torsion bars are - plus what you're paying in the way of labour costs of course!

In theory, it's quite easy and straight forward to do - say about an hours work. The reality when you're dealing with 20+ year old cars however is quite different, and you are quite likely to find that the rear beam is in very poor condition internally if it's not been rebuilt in the past few years. That hour suddenly becomes most of a weekend...

forbeslongden

Ah I see! Might be a good idea for me to just get the front springs changed for normal 205 ones and leave it there then.... This car has already cost me an arm and a leg so I figure the beam is probably in a bad way :/

pug_ham

Was that with a 1.9 rear axle as well, or just the standard STDT one? Looks just the right ride height.

That was the standard STDT beam but refurbed with GTI torsion & antiroll bars with the ride height lowered to match the 309 GTI front springs, with 205 GTI springs on it sat very slightly higher

g