• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
iluvbrownale

Identifying Brake Callipers

iluvbrownale

G'day all,

I have a 1988 GTI 1.9 from the UK over here in Australia. I am getting the brakes overhauled as they are, umm, farked. The calliper bleed nipples are utterly rusted through and can't be removed. One of our techs (I work at a VW dealership) says new callipers are in order. It has been suggested the callipers used on Aus spec GTI's are different.

Can anyone shed any light on what I have so I can re-order from somewhere? There are some stamped numbers but they're unreadable.

y5t7.jpg l86q.jpg

2jf2.jpg

allye

They look like standard 1.9GTI calipers. As I'm sure you know you could just rebuild them and drill our the bleed nipples?

Where abouts are in NSW are you? I'm up near Taree working.

pug_ham

They look like standard Girling 205 1.9 GTI calipers to me.

g

iluvbrownale

I should update, I'm now in Tasmania. I've been advised ATE calipers from an early 306 are the same and have ordered a pair. Fingers x-ed - any comments? will be quicker than sourcing from UK - car goes to transport inspectors in a week for registration as an import.

Mac Crash

Looks the same as far as I can tell, see below, photos of 1.9 Gti Girling calipers

2mmzrdh.jpg

calvinhorse

A set of Discs, pads and calipers off any model of 306 will fit and are 266mm or 283mm