• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
daza2020

Need Some Advice On Electrics.

daza2020

Hi all.

Have just aquired a tasty 1.6 gti with next to no rust/rot, however what it lacks in rust it makes up for in gremlins upon purchase all seemed fine however after 100 odd miles on the motorway it now seems the indicator bulb/housing needs replacing.

The electric windows did work now they don't due to me trying to quick fix it in a car park and getting the wires mixed up on the switch I heard something blow but the fuse box under the glove box seems fine???? Both motors work fine as I've hooked up 12v to both to get the windows shut. However its a hack job on both sides with the spade connectors, black tape and those splice connectors for some reason, anyone recommend aftermarket connectors I'm thinking solder to the switch directly then have a connector further down as they're all shot ???

It did have central locking was this standard ??? as all the motors are in the doors ect but theres no fob and the motors don't do anything could I take them out or rewire it so it all locks when the drivers door is locked ???

There was an alarm/immobiliser fitted at one point in its life as I've been finding excess wires all under the dash that seem to be connected to thin air I'm right in saying I can take the whole lot out as there seems to be zero power going to the box and it all seems dead.

The cooling fan is on all the time as soon as it gets a bit warm and stays on for near an hour, it's had a new radiator fan switch and radiator however the relay box ?? I think with the two 25a fuses (that I've pulled to shut it up) are located on the far left with the middle empty and there a brown plug lose that seems like it's meant to go underneath anyone shed any light there.

The speakers are gone I mean they fell to pieces anyone recommend some replacements or would any generic one's do, oh and I'm in need of an oem stereo as the one that was fitted got binned as soon as I got back.

Can anyone answer the above.

I shall be investing in a multi meter and a haynes is on the way, and a project thread will be made as it's off the road for a year now.

Thanks. I shall no doubt be asking more the more I tear it down.

Edited by daza2020

daza2020

Anyone ???