• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James Cornell

Opinions On Tyres

James Cornell

I am not sure whether this is the best category to post this question (sorry if it is not) but I have some nice standard "Speedline" 15" wheels on my 1.9 GTI and I am going to have them blasted and powder coated, when they come back I am intending to put 4 new boot on and I wondered what peoples experiences and opinions were with different makes.

I would like to put 195/50/15's on and it will mainly be used daily as my fun car with a combination or spirited driving on the lanes and some boring motorway miles doing the family shop etc.

welshpug

The Michelin PE2 is hard to beat for the combination of dry and wet grip and longevity, and also price for a premium tyre!

It is now superseded by the PS3 which I haven't experienced yet, but reports so far are of a slightly stiffer sidewall which is the only slight downside of the PE2, its better than many others however!

James Cornell

I suppose at £62.50 a corner that is a reasonable price, my local tyre place wanted £61 a corner for Avon ZV5's so it is in the same ball park as them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195-50-15-MICHELIN-EXLATO-2-82V-X4-TYRES-19550R15-TYRE-195-50R15-/120917774499?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item1c2742d0a3

James Cornell

Are the PE3's available yet? There don't seem to be many listed...

welshpug

no, they don't exist, ps3's are out though.

Edited by welshpug

S@m

PS3's are out, yet every supplier i talk to says they are on horrendous back order.

welshpug

just order from germany...

Mac Crash

can't go wrong with Michelin's and also retains the car's French origins.

mind "winter is coming" though, so an all season tyre might be better depending if it's your only car and your going to use it during the winter months, if so then Nokian make excellent tyres, pricey though.

welshpug

Yep, i have some michelin alpin A3's in the shed on c5 wheels ready for when the temperature drops, wont be long! But till then my PE2's are staying on.

Mac Crash

I keep hearing about these C5 wheels, steels or alloys? what's the benefits seeing as your running them? any photos? thanks

welshpug

they are made from aluminium, but look like a steel wheel, same dimensions as the standard speedline wheel, but HALF the weight of the SMR variant, at 4.7 kilos.

the steel wheels from many later pugs are much lighter as well, around 5.5 iirc, PeterT posted about some not so long ago.

almost offsets the weight gain of fitting excessively heavy gti6 brakes which seems so common :lol:

Mac Crash

Down to 59 a corner delivered

71db noise, mad how that could matter, eh?

they are made from aluminium, but look like a steel wheel, same dimensions as the standard speedline wheel, but HALF the weight of the SMR variant, at 4.7 kilos.

the steel wheels from many later pugs are much lighter as well, around 5.5 iirc, PeterT posted about some not so long ago.

almost offsets the weight gain of fitting excessively heavy gti6 brakes which seems so common :lol:

Ahhh so! I see, found some photos and weight comparisons on the 106 forum, all in all about 11-12kgs with a tyre... yip, know what you mean about the bigger brakes at the expense of increasing unsprung weight, I guess many folk fit them for the sake of filling the wheels rather than the genuine need for bigger brakes. When was the last time you had brake fade or ran out of brakes when using well serviced standard brakes with proper pads such as Mintex or Yellow Stuff?

Anyone want to swap their C5 "steelies" for a set of black powder coated SMR's? :mellow:

welshpug

me and George had no brake fade with a 200 bhp V6 205 in the alps on standard ferodo premier brake pads, granted in gti6 calipers, but the engine kinda warrants them :D

welshpug

Not quite, as i said, germany...

ORB

Black circles were showing stock and next day delivery earlier

MiniGibbo

Not 15" but on my 14"'s I use toyo cf1's and they're fantastic tbh.

Crescent205

Pirelli p-zero moulded slicks in super soft compund, you might wanna use the superior grip they offer you in trying to lose the feds if they try to pull you over 'cause at 3 points per tyre your gonna lose your licence :D

James Cornell

Well I have been quite lucky from the look of the replies on this post, in the end I went to my local tyre garage and asked them for Michelin's and they were ordered on Wednesday, delivered on Friday and fitted on Saturday. If I'm honest I think they were really good value for excellent tyres, it was £267 incVAT for all four fitted and balanced for Michelin PS3's on 195/50/15 and I have to say they have made the car look better, drive better and steer considerably better so I am really really chuffed!

Mac Crash

anyone here used tyre softener? if so, what's your experience of this?

I've heard that it works more effectively on semi-slick/racing type tyres as these tend to have a higher natural rubber content than road tyres... it's got me round to thinking as I've got an almost new set of A048R's (S) and could softener improve what is already a silly amount of grip? personally preferred the A032R's but can't find them anywhere in 15" diameter.

amusingadam

as welshpug will disagree with me i'm still a fan of yoko prada vspec 2 down side is you should avoid all puddles but in the dry the grip is excellent. i did try the pe2's as said a very good all round tyre they last a long time compared to the softer yoko.

Batfink

I run the parada and they are excellent wet and dry for me. I'm running a slightly stretched tyre and have 50:50 front to rear weight ratio so am putting less stress on the front tyres compared to a 205