• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eastlondonpug

Ghost In The Car Disturbed Me With Horn

eastlondonpug

Hi

Something strange happened today evening at around 9pm. I was in my living room and my horn sounded automatically, I looked outside and there was nobody in my car. I went outside to investigate and the horn stopped sounding before I could do anything. The horn sounded for maybe 20 seconds or so in all. I ignored it and went back inside as was on an important call.

Soon after after around 5 minutes, the horn sounded again. I rushed outside to disconnect the battery and before I could do that the horn switched off. This time the horn sounded for maybe 15 seconds. I then disconnected the battery so that it would not happen again and not annoy the neighbours any more.

Just to let you know, I have been installing an mi16 engine in my car which I finished cleaning up the engine related wires today (i.e. putting new conduits on and ziptieing everything together to make the engine bay look neat). Also, the fuse box was put back in its place today as it was partially removed from its holders to give better access to the box. The fuses/relays and connectors etc in the fuse box themselves have not been touched or disconnected or messed with. I am also confident the indicator stalk (horn switch) itself is not bad.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem? Is this an earthing issue? or is it something to do with the relay? Or have I messed something else up? Or could it be a loose connector.

Kindly share your thoughts.

Thanks!

jackherer

The only time I've known the horn to operate on its own in a 205 was when the header tank leaked coolant onto the horn relay which is next to it.

Slo

creepy crawly crawling into certain places for an electrifying death or maybe water got into something it shouldn't

chipstick

Good chance the noise is in your head. Did anyone else hear it?

eastlondonpug

Thanks. There is definitely no water splashed, engine bay is bone dry and the expansion tank has also not leaked nor overflowed onto the relay there. This is a very strange one. I am suspecting the relay has gone bad or has been disturbed when I was ziptieing everything together? Could that be the source for the circuit being completed?

Chipstick - I have a very loud horn, the whole neighbourhood was peering and giving me stares from their windows!

brumster

You've not got an alarm that uses the horn as the sounder, have you? Must be the pixies then. The mi16 conversion is the giveaway... they normally go straight for creating oil surge but they have been known to start on other minor annoyances while they're waiting for you to complete the conversion..... the little pests.

jonXS

I blame it on the gremlins. They get everywhere :P