• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BenC

Brake Bleeding Issues

BenC

Hi all, I am trying to bleed my brakes (I have a K reg 205 XRDT base model front discs & rear drums), I have new brake components all round - new rear wheel cylinders, reconditioned front calipers and a new master cylinder. I have just bled the brakes once using a Gunson Eezi bleed kit, and the fluid came out of each of the bleed nipples clear with no bubbles. However the brake pedal still goes down to the floor. There is resistance but it is not firm. Does this mean there is still air trapped in the system somewhere? How can I get it out? I let the fluid flow through each nipple for a good while to make sure there was definitely no more air coming through. Could air be getting in somewhere?

The only thing I can think of is the bleed nipple fittings on the recon calipers which I'm not too impressed with tbh. When the driver's side caliper arrived the bleed nipple was already snapped off. The guy sent me a new nipple which I fitted but its not a normal arrangement, the nipples on the calipers don't go straight into the caliper they go through a bolt which is fixed into the caliper, presumably because the original threads on the caliper are damaged when the caliper is reconditioned, so they drill a new hole? However when I fitted the new bolt with the nipple fitting it doesn't screw tight into the caliper and stop , it screws up against the caliper and then spins. The passenger's side fitting doesn't spin. I wrapped the thread on the bolt with PTFE tape before I fitted it and it doesn't appear to be leaking but to open the bleed nipple you do have to hold the bolt with a spanner to stop it spinning. However, it does bleed and fluid comes through. Could this fitting be letting air into the system? I hope my description makes sense. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Slo

I would be more concerned about that loose bolt letting pressure/fluid out at the very moment you need to stop as fast as possible. Don't even think about it get another caliper NOW!

Back to your problem I would check the rear brake shoe adjusters to see if they are adjusted up properly especially if you have removed the brake shoes to replace the rear cylinders.

BenC

I changed the front discs & pads and the rear shoes as well. I found the problem, one of the pipes on the master cylinder wasn't quite nipped up so fluid was leaking out. After another bleed it's nice & firm now. SO you think I should go back to the seller and complain about that caliper? It definitely doesn't seem right.

Slo

You should be concerned that the hydraulic circuit has a moving part/seal that literally could just pop out when you need urgent braking or even any braking really. I wouldn't have even fitted it in the first place. Get messaging mate. Ebay's on your side.

BenC

Ok, well I don't need to drive the car for another week. I 've sent a photo & message on. Thanks very much for your advice, it sounds daft but I probably would have left it :S

BenC

I went back to the seller and he suggested using locktite/threadlock. What do you think?

Tom Fenton

I think fire it back at him not fit for purpose.

Slo

yup sounds like the guy has drilled out the old bleed screw tapped out the hole and with no end stop put in a drilled out bolt that has been also drilled out for a bleed screw and used thread lock to secure it then you have replaced the bolt he sent you and without there being an end stop tightened it in as far as it will go and stripped its soft alloy threads.

Don't waste time just ask to return it.

BenC

Thanks for your help guys, he sent me out a replacement calliper in the end. I'll have a go at fitting it tomorrow and let you know how I get on