• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Technik21

Remote Central Locking Fault

Technik21

The remote part of the central locking has stopped working.

Using the key in the doors works all locks, but the key fob button isn't working.

I would guess it stopped working when I noticed that water had got in to the courtesy light housing on the headlining near the sunroof handle.

I know the receiver board is located in there, and the water may have fried the pcb.

I took out the little pcb unit and dried it out \ cleaned with electrical spray, but the remote still doesn't work.

The battery is good in the key fob, and the red light works too.

I was told to check the wiring in the drivers door, as it is very rare for the sender\receiver to fail apparently .

Before I strip the door down to check everything, has anyone had a similar problem with their remote locking?

If as suspected the sender\receiver is faulty, I would need to source the keyfob pcb, and receiver pcb.

Does anyone have a spare\salvaged part?

(1993 - part no: 66552N6)

I'm guessing these can't be repaired.

Thanks guys

Anthony

Water would and does kill the receiver I'm afraid.

Easy enough to prove if you're electrically minded, as the receiver only uses four wires - a 12v positive, an earth, and a wire for lock and unlock. Momentarily earthing either the lock or unlock wire should trigger the locking control box, which in turn will operate the central locking. If it does, everything is working correctly beyond the receiver, and that's probably the issue,

pugdamo

You can also check the key is emmiting a signal by pointing the infra red eye into the camera on a mobile phone,if you look on the screen on your phone and press the fob it should light up

Technik21

Water would and does kill the receiver I'm afraid.

Easy enough to prove if you're electrically minded, as the receiver only uses four wires - a 12v positive, an earth, and a wire for lock and unlock. Momentarily earthing either the lock or unlock wire should trigger the locking control box, which in turn will operate the central locking. If it does, everything is working correctly beyond the receiver, and that's probably the issue,

Ok , thanks for the info. I did connect a wire from one of the terminals to an earth point, and yes, the locks activated. So confirms the receiver board is dead.

It's a tough job finding both key fob sender and receiver module. I understand that both the 405 and 309 models share the same remote locking parts.

So will keep searching.

Thanks again :)

acox99

Sorry to hi jack the thread. Iv got 2 r/c/l fobs and receivers. Neither work. On one the light on the fob works but haven't checked it omits a signal. Is there a way to repair if it doesn't? Make 2 out of 1. Un solder the infa red module and change over? Or is that what's coded.

On The other fob the light doesn't work. Any ideas if it's a dead button or what. So I can't test to see if the receiver works. It was bought untested but did work when removed. Is there anyway to repair the button/fob or a company who may take a look.

Iv tested the wiring in the car and it's all good.

The units are certainly getting hard to find working!

Anthony

To see if the fob is emitting anything, look at the IR transmitter through a mobile phone camera and press the button.

The human eye can't see infra red, but a mobile phone camera seemingly can (you'll see a bright flash)

acox99

If it isn't omitting can anything be done or is it dead.

acox99

I have just tried it and I can't see anything when the button is pressed. If you press the button the red light shines brightly but nothing from the ir.

pugdamo

If its the key fob,i had a problem with mine,i pulled the board out and found a cracked solder joint.Worth a look before paying someone else.

acox99

Thanks pugdamo. One was a broken joint that I repaired and the other I cleaned with switch cleaner. Both fobs now work. 1 reciever works with 1 fob. But the other still no joy. I suspect it's not a matched pair.

But hey I now have remote locking.

Thanks for the advice.