• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rams_gti6

Best Track Day Springs?

Rams_gti6

This maybe in the wrong section but I'm new so forgive me. I've got a 205 gti6 just bought and fitted the bilstein b6 dampers the yellow ones. To accompany this set up I've read that eibach springs are about the best you can get so I bought them.

My problem was apparent when doing a few trackdays. The springs just seem to give to much body roll I'm guessing because they aren't low enough at only 30mm lower than standard. Is there any other springs out there that are good quality yet stiffer and lower or should I be looking else where to eliminate body roll?

James

j_turnell

Any lower than -30-35mm and you start to compromise other factors, lower is definitely not better! Do some research on the forum as this has been covered many times, there are numerous threds on suspension, how it works and what changes to make. But what ever you do to the front you must make changes to the back as you need to maintain the balance of the car.

Rams_gti6

If I just stick with the 35mm's will I need to lower the rear it looks pretty even at the minute to be fair

allanallen

Yes, ideally you need to up the front spring rate but the rear obviously needs to be upped to suit. Problem is your b6s will be under damped if you go much higher than the eibachs IMO.

Your best/easiest bet in my eyes is to fit a bigger rear arb and see what you think.

As said, have a search there's lots of info about

Batfink

Eibachs are soft. They are designed to be a road spring not a track spring. You can easily update the springs to see an improvement. The b6 is roughly 30% updated over standard. Peter Lloyd springs may be an option. If the car is used primarily on the road then some 150-160lb springs should work well with an upgrade at the rear but if its track only then you need coil overs and about 400lb springs. Maybe some tender springs to soften initial damping. You need some nice thick torsion bars at the rear for that to work well

• Like 1

Rams_gti6

Thanks for the replies. I've already got a thicker torsion bar at the rear so that's covered. Might have a look at the Peter Lloyd springs then I've arranged for some 250lb 45mm lowered springs to be made what do you think of this spec? Wish I'd got coilovers now nearly ordered gaz's but choose the Bilsteins after doing endless searches on here as at the time it was a mixture if track and road I wanted but now things have changed after two track days! Brand new Bilstein b6 and eibach spring setup anyone interest?? Lol

allanallen

What size torsion bars have you fitted?

Henry 1.9GTi

I had some 250lb 8" springs made to fit standard spring pan dampers. Suffice to say they didn't fit. Wire diameter was too large for the pan, and there wasnt enough flex in the spring being so muc stiffer and shorter than standard to get it to go into standard mounts at the right angle.

Also they would dislocate at full droop so you would need to sort of some kind of droop stop on the wishbone or lockwire the springs to the mounts / lockwire the top and bottom spring pans together at spring free length.

ive got them still in the garage if you want to try them ;)

jackherer

I had some 250lb 8" springs made to fit standard spring pan dampers. Suffice to say they didn't fit. Wire diameter was too large for the pan, and there wasnt enough flex in the spring being so muc stiffer and shorter than standard to get it to go into standard mounts at the right angle.

I've seen aftermarket springs that wouldn't locate in the standard top mounts but it was due to the start and end points of the coil not being in the right places for a 205, if you look at the spring from above the start and end points of the coil are critical to how it locates. Some start at 12 o'clock and end at 6 o'clock but others start and end at 12 o'clock. I forget which way round Peugeots are but they need to be right.

The ones I saw had been fitted by someone that supposedly knew what they were doing but they were bowing out and actually scraping on the bodywork in some places.

Cameron

The problem is that your "best" track day springs are going to be unsuitable for the road, and vice-versa; you need to have a look at how far you're willing to compromise road comfort in favour of track performance, rather than asking people what the "best" option is. Don't be surprised that a comfortable road set-up will not perform well on track.

If you want a bias towards track day performance then you're looking at coilovers, really, as they will give you the most options when it comes to chosing spring rates.

If you don't want to go any stiffer on rates because you're worried the road comfort will suffer, then go for a thicker rear ARB (thickness depending on rear TB thickness) as that will get you a little extra track performance without doing too much to compromise comfort.

shalmaneser

The Eibach's are far far too soft for the gti6 engine under any circumstances IMO. If you want to go for a full track spec then you'll need coilovers and uprated rear TBs and ARBs, it's basically as simple as that.

Rams_gti6

My beam is from a van apparently so has thicker torsion bars I was told by previous owner. I'm thinking of selling my suspension setup then! What's a bilstein kit and eibach springs worth only 250 miles old at most!

j_turnell

That's a myth unfortunately 205 vans don't have bigger torsion bars,. As said you need to decide what your predominately going to use the car for and go from there as that's going to determine what setup to go for.

Batfink

The Eibach's are far far too soft for the gti6 engine under any circumstances IMO. If you want to go for a full track spec then you'll need coilovers and uprated rear TBs and ARBs, it's basically as simple as that.

I'm tempted to disagree that eibachs are too soft. I've driven a 205 gti6 on eibachs but with 306 struts and it rides very nicely indeed. It has the added weight of a supercharger and intercooler etc as well Edited by Batfink

GeorgeXS

That's a myth unfortunately 205 vans don't have bigger torsion bars,. As said you need to decide what your predominately going to use the car for and go from there as that's going to determine what setup to go for.

Unless he has a 309 width beam, don't torsion bars from Peugeot partner/ Citroen berlingos fit them?