• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Din_Din_Din

Gearbox And Battery Mount

Din_Din_Din

Can someone let me know where's best to reinforce the battery tray / gearbox mount. Gonna reinforce with some thin metal strips welded on ...?

welshpug

why? I've never looked at one and thought "that looks a bit weak" :lol: nor can I imagine how you could improve on what's there already.

all it does is support the weight of the gearbox, twisting forces go into the lower rear mount and upper engine mounting.

HERMAN

I reinforced mine due to the fact it had started to crack.

welshpug

where did it crack?!

Miles

They crack between the side and the top part that mounts onto the top chassis leg, You can bend them without any hassle as well there

2052NV

I welded my bracket up when it was out of the car just for piece of mind. I have also heard that they crack from a friend that used to look after 205 challenge cars. I just welded along all the joins and the bits that look weak :lol: . It feels alot more solid now happy i did it.

Din_Din_Din

Yeah cracked on the bends just gonna weld them up best I can to reinforce it cheers anyway mons

2052NV

we did a club run in the wopps down some awesome typical New Zealand gravel road and one of the guys gearbox mounts snapped so we did a roadside reapir to get him home.... stole a wooden fence post put it over the box resting on the slam pannel and firewall then used a ratchet strap to lift up the gearbox. Made it all the way home a 4h drive! :lol:

GTI6BOY

A couple of years ago the samething happened drag racing the touring rallye and the engine dropped to the floor down the strip. We also ratchet strapped it back in to place and carried on racing. I also drove all the way home :)