• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Waddell

Plastic Sheet On Insidei Of Door

Gavin Waddell

Putting my car back into normal car trim and I remembered that there is a plastic sheet on the door to stop moisture coming through. Now I cat remember if it covers the whole door or just the openings. And also does any one know where to buy the sticky stuff that holds it in place?

Thanks gavin

jonXS

I don't know where you could get it from. But you could try soundproofing stuff, that should stop the moisture coming in and the added bonus of being quieter inside :)

Anthony

The original stuff seems to be very similar to the wrapping that new LCD screens and similar tend to come shipped in.

205's didn't have the clear plastic sheet that was used on other cars, but rather a white membrain/foam like stuff that covered just the holes.

welshpug

plastic sheet is incorporated into the doorcard isn't it? brain fade moment :lol:

Gavin Waddell

I saw in service box that they still sell it by the meter which is good. But I'm also after the kind if silicone paste that holds it in place, double sided tape just dries out after a while. Some told me of double sided neoprene which won't dry out. But I would like to find the original stuff or just it's technical name so I can search in the web ,

Thanks Gavin

commievid

I used butyl tape, which hasn't appeared to dry out for the 8-9 months since I've done it, and used anything plastic and transparent to attach to that tape, cut to shape.

This included magazine plastic covers and dust sheets cut up to shape. I should probably sort it out to be neater but it seems to be ok.

Anthony is right, the original material is sort of a white foamy like thing very much like the sort used to cover flat screens when bought new. There is also a plastic sheet as part of the door card as mentioned earlier.

I guess what happens is people change over speakers or what not and when they do, they poke through the existing stuff and don't bother to replace it.

matt.f

Butyl tape will do,spray adhesive is another.Honda use a sealer that doesnt go off,very good but gets everywhere.

Gavin Waddell

I did A bit if research and yea butly tape is the stuff needed, but here it's bloody expensive about £25 for 4.5 m so going to use tacky tape( it's what we use to seal our vacuum bags) it's free for 10 m plus dissent go off, even after being cooked for 8houra at 100 degrees so all good now.