• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Justin

Laserline Alarm/rcl Removal After Small Fire

Justin

Hi,

When I bought my 205 8 years ago it had two security systems fitted. One was an Autowatch 139Ti immobiliser which still works and has always worked fine. The other system is a

Laserline 290i alarm/remote central locking which was operated by a fob. This worked fine for a couple of years but hasn't worked at all since.

Yesterday, after going on a short drive I parked up and as I got out of the car both front indicators came on and stayed on (not blinking, just on). I got in the car and noticed smoke coming from the dash near the glove box. I opened the bonnet and saw the smoke was coming from the Laserline unit which is mounted on the inner wing by the battery. I disonnected the battery and quickly removed the Laserline unit, which kindly put itself out.

Alarm_zpsd1fa14c4.jpg

There are two cable connectors that go into the laserline unit, one of which is now knackered. This wiring goes into the bulkhead near the glove box, so I assume it connects into the car loom somewhere there.

I have subsequently reconnected the battery and the car starts and drives fine, all lights work except the indicators. When I indicate the flasher relay clicks quickly and any othe lights that are on dim with the clicks, but the indicators do not blink.

I assume this is due to the alarm wiring being connected into the indicators (they used to flash when locking and unlocking the car with the Laserline fob).

Does anyone know how easy it is likely to be to remove the laserline alarm wiring? Is it something an auto electrician/alarm fitter would tackle?

Thanks,
Justin.

Edited by Justin

Anthony

Normally straight forward enough to remove, particularly given that most alarm installers are lazy and inept and will hence have made the connections in the easiest possible place and no doubt left it easy to remove the alarm from the loop.

I would imagine that any vaguely competent auto electrician should be able to do this for you, and if you get stuck, I'm happy to take a look as I've removed quite a few alarm systems over the years on 205's, including one just last week.

jackherer

It's lucky you noticed it before it spread. You're always welcome to bring it back here but obviously it's a bit of a trek for you.