• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Grez28

Trailing Arm Come Of Shaft

Grez28

Was just tinkering with my 205 today and noticed a bit of movement in the near side trailing arm. On closer inspection I thought the bearings had failed. Thought this unlikely as the beam was built by a reputable forum member and has covered very few miles since being rebuilt. Carried on stripping it down to find once I had removed the arb end plates that the trailing arm was moving free of the shaft. Took the offset washer and the shock bolt out and the trailing arm came right off. Leaving the shaft in the beam. Removed the shaft from the beam and it seems fine. Looking at it off the car it looks like the shaft has never been pressed far enough into the trailing arm.

Miles

Really need a pic of it, the Shaft should sit a few mm from the outer edge of the arm without going into huge detail,

Grez28

Yes i understand what you mean. I had the measurement of 3mm from the end of the shaft to the face on the trailing arm in my head?. I would say at a guess there would be about 10-15mm from the end of the shaft to the face of the trailing arm. Looks like its the same on both sides as well so will need stripping anyway to be sure.

Cheers graham.

post-13179-0-83513900-1377042670_thumb.jpg

Grez28

If you notice the very bottom of the shaft in the picture you can see the small part of the shaft (about 1 mm past the chamfer) that was actually pressed through the first part of the casting into the second part. If you understand haha.

Graham.

jord294

have you contacted builder of beam to ask his opinion on this?

when the shaft is pressed into the arm, there should be a 2mm difference at the arb plate end (this is where the fibre ring sits)

looking at the pic, that measurement should be arond 70mm from end of shaft to bottom of the metal cup.

allanallen

To be honest thats probably f***ed the trailing arm too running around with it not fully engaged and loose so to speak.

I'd also check the depth of the inner trailing arm bearing as this may of been set further in to suit the incorrectly fitted pin.

Edited by allanallen

Grez28

Ahh, the measurement is more like 60mm than 70mm, yes I guess the pins and arms may be damaged and need replacing. This picture shows where the bearing has run off the bearing face and onto the rough cut part of the shaft by around 10mm. So it looks like it will need rebuilding again. Cheers graham.

post-13179-0-27720700-1377060676_thumb.jpg

welshpug

That shaft doesnt look bad, the sharp bit is the remains if the cup for the seal.

I'd get another set of arms, check that the shaft diameter is in spec, if it is then all good press them in the new arms (2mm clearance as mentioned to outer face) - pop new bearings in, job done.

I have seen the shafts welded in place on a few rally cars, vague recollection of it being in a pts build book too.

Edited by welshpug

Grez28

I see where your coming from welshpug but the picture is the small end of the shaft I've measured the bore of the arm compared to some spares I have and the arms don't seem to have worn at all so I might be lucky.

Graham

Grez28

That is how the arm/shaft look when the seal lip is pushed up flat against the inner face of the trailing arm. Graham

post-13179-0-54093800-1377088488_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grez28

allanallen

Who the hell put it together?

I really think the trailing arm that came loose will be knackered.

• Like 1

jord294

That arm shaft doesn't even look to be of decent quality either!

Is it black coated internally, or just dirty.

Grez28

I thought it would be knackered but its covered very little miles and measures up fine compared to another set of arms I have. No it's not coated or dirty really just a bad picture haha. Don't really want to say the name of who I bought it off tbh(may pm them at some point) but it was bought as fully refurbished ready to fit.

Graham

farmer

I would be asking questions now if it was me.

jord294

I would be asking questions now if it was me.

I agree.

In fact, I would of asked questions before posting on here.

Grez28

Yeah it seems like the opposite side is the same as well wich points towards being assembled wrong from the start. Doesn't really make a difference but I had the beam dry stored around 3 years before it was fitted.

dicky20014

Graham, that's similar to what happened to me, the trailing arm coming off the shaft instead of the otherway round, mine was supposed to have been rebuilt aswell. I managed to save the shafts and just did all of the bearings. I've still got 1 of them arms left you gave me if you want it? (passenger side I think) as only 1 side did this