• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mattr5uk

Another Rear Beam Question

Mattr5uk

What parts are interchangeable between the 1.6 and 1.9 rear axles? My 1.9 axles shot and Ive got 2 good 1.6 beams. If ideally like to keep the rear discs so is it possible to change the trailing arms? If rather get some advice before going down the trial and error path.

Thanks all

welshpug

All of it, the only differences are that 1.9 stub axles are longer for the larger disc hubs, and the front mounting brackets are offset positioning the beam 5mm or so further forwards.

Do make sure you keep the trailing arms paired as the geometry spec varied.

Anthony

1.6 and 1.9 beams are almost identical - the only differences are the following parts:

• Front beam mounts (1.9 are handed and offset)
  • Stub axles (longer on 1.9)
  • Rear caliper mounting brackets (not present on 1.6)
  • Rear wheel bearing/hub assembly (combined bearing/hub on 1.9, individual bearing on 1.6)

Obviously the brakes themselves differ as well.

You can either swap the complete trailing arm assembly over, or remove the wheel bearings, caliper mounts and stub axles and fit those to the 1.6 beam.

Beware that your "good" 1.6 beams are probably nothing of the sort internally if they're original (i.e haven't been refurbished in the past few years), and I would personally budget on overhauling it before fitting it so that you're not back in the same position in a few months time.

Davy

All of it, the only differences are that 1.9 stub axles are longer for the larger disc hubs, and the front mounting brackets are offset positioning the beam 5mm or so further forwards.

Do make sure you keep the trailing arms paired as the geometry spec varied.

I didnt know this.

Out of curiosity, why is there a 5mm difference in front mounts?.. Wheel clearance at rear valance?... Does that mean the alloy supports (that the rear rubber mounts attach to) are 5mm different too to compensate?

Anthony

The rear mounts have slots in to allow for a degree of movement, which takes up the difference in front mounts.

The rear mounts themselves are the same.

Davy

Ah yes, I remember leaving the rear mounts slack until all was in place because there was a bit of movement back and forwards on the alloy brackets.

Still makes me wonder why they bothered with different brackets for the sake of 5mm.

anyway, another little tit bit learned and something to look out for if ever swapping beams between the two

cheers.