• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dexter1002

Brakes No Bleeding

dexter1002

Hi there,

Today I've fitted my brakes all round and re-lined the system, I then came to bleed the system and connected up my eezi bleed and bled it.

All of the air seems to be out of the system and there are no leaks, but the pedal just keeps going straight to the floor.

Does anyone know what this could be or have any tips to get it bled properly ?

Thanks!

Edited by dexter1002

farmer

Had this problem myself and bled them in the end the old fashioned way and they have worked a treat since.

dexter1002

It was getting late last night when I started doing that method, but still no hope, I will have another go tonight and see what happens!

Thanks

farmer

What brake setup do you have and what calliper's are not bleeding?

dexter1002

Gti6 upfront and standard 1.9 on the rear, single line to the rear with no compensator and 1 port blocked off on the m/c. All brake line are new!

All the calipers have fluid coming out with no bubbles but when I lock the bleed nipples off on all of them then go and start it up and the pedal just hits the floor

Tom Fenton

What is the history of the master cylinder?

dexter1002

It's a 406 m/c that I bought off BERTMAN on here, said it wasn't that old, i will get the link

Tom Fenton

I am not saying that it is the problem, but certainly it is not un heard of that a used master cylinder that previously has been working well is suddenly no good when it is taken past its usual working range when re bleeding brakes for example.

Personally I have never had a problem bleeding 205 brakes, it is a simple enough system with no complicated load sensing valves, or ABS valve blocks etc to cause you problems.

One thing you can try, give the brakes a good pump, then push the pedal to the floor and then chock it there using a length of timber or whatever braced against the drivers seat. Leave it there overnight then slowly release the pedal to the top and try again. Sometimes can work.

jackherer

I've seen what Tom described several times, I avoid used master cylinders now. Once they are fitted and filled with fluid they need to stay filled with fluid. I assume the seals dry out and distort or something.

• Like 1

welshpug

with water buildup in standard dot fluid you get corrosion in the unswept area of the master cylinder bore,

allye

Another vote for the mastercylinder, I've had it twice. Would not buy used one again.

Tom Fenton

, I avoid used master cylinders now.

Another vote for the mastercylinder, I've had it twice. Would not buy used one again.

Didn't really want to say it, but these guys are totally right. I wouldn't entertain fitting a used master cylinder to any of my cars. For what they cost new versus the potential to crash and die if they crap out its just not worth it!

dexter1002

Thanks for the information guys, do you know where I could get a new 406 master cylinder ? And how much they are roughly ?

Thanks for the help! Wish I new about that at the start

welshpug

Any motorfactor.

NFS

have you checked the new lines to make sure they are not leaking. i did the same as you and found that 1 was leaking slightly and causeing this issue. but im sure you have checked that.

dexter1002

Yeah absolutely no visible leaks I'm not loosing any fluid, I've got a new m/c so fingers crossed that will solve it,

Let you know tonight

dexter1002

Well I put my master cylinder on and it's still the same, the o/s rear caliper bleed nipple has obviously snapped off in its life time, and the guy I bought them off has drilled it out and put a 13 mm bolt in, could this be the problem ?

jackherer

the guy I bought them off has drilled it out and put a 13 mm bolt in, could this be the problem ?

Only if it's leaking.

If the pedal is dropping to the floor either the fluid is pushing past the master cylinder seals and back into the reservoir or it's leaking externally somewhere.

Slo

Got 2 pairs of mole grips? Clamp the rear flexis with them and try the pedal again. If it's hard it can only be the rear adjusters not adjusted up properly, if its still dropping to the floor must still have air in it.

dexter1002

It's a brand new master cylinder, so I wouldn't have thought its the seals, but I can't see and visible leaks which is strange.

I've got rear calipers so I think the adjuster won't be the issue Slo,

welshpug

how are you bleeding that brake if it has a bolt instead of a bleed nipple?!

dexter1002

Unscrewing it until the fluid can pass the threads and trickle out

farmer

I would get that caliper sorted it's hardly ideal.

dexter1002

I've posted an add in the wanted section, need to get that sorted really.