• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtdog

Suspension Questions

dirtdog

Sorry about the long post in advance. I have searched but cant find any solid answers.

Basically i'm going to be hitting the 205 pretty hard over next few weeks and am looking to consolidate some information.

Question number 1 : Is there..(im sure there was) anyone who is refurbing/customising tidy wishbones. Ie one that have replaceable balljoints, and aren't a s*ite design and going to snap/bend etc. How much am I looking at. I was looking at the shenpar ones which seem cheaper then everywhere else...but no reviews on them. Just a post saying they are similar to the PTS ones. But if I buy a pattern pair now and i send mine off to be done it may work out easier or cheaper for me.

Question number 2 : Has anyone machined down 306 ARB and TBs to fit the 205. I'm on the standard STDT beam at the moment so it's truley pants. IIRC it's a 16mm bar so I was hoping to step it up to a 21mm or something. I'm too poor to buy a new one for 300+ each but I could probably get the bars cheap 2nd hand and the machining hopefully will only cost a fraction of the price. What size do the 306 arb an tbs come in? I know some people have the 106 items fitted but i'd rather a full length bar than welding in one side

Also...anyone in south wales area who build beams...if you do part ex then do please get in touch

Thanks

dirtdog

thanks for reply mate. hoping to get one off a forum member with a reputation really. Someone who can part ex mine when I go to collect...Cant afford to have the car off road for anymore than a few hours really

welshpug

I've got a beam I need to finish building, I have gti torsion bars for it, no stub axles currently fitted so can be drum or disc.

Jeff Skitt out in Aberaeron does RJ'd pug wishbones, DCC has seen them and said they looked very well finished, only trouble is they cost several hundred pounds, where a new standard unit is around £60-70.

farmer

That advert is a forum member and I would use him.

Jord294 is his name on this, message him with your requirements he only uses genuine parts I believe also.

He lives near Mold.

Anthony

ZX/306/Xsara ARB's can be machined down to fit 205/309's, but the torsion bars cannot.

The ARB's come in various sizes, but the ones of interest will be 22mm (ZX Volcane), 23mm (late Xsara VTS I believe), and 24mm (306 GTi-6/XSi/S16, ZX 16v, most Xsara VTS)

106/Saxo ARB's can be used on a 205 beam if you use 306 style endplates, although they're really a little too short and hence you need to get it properly centralised in the splines to minimise the chance of it stripping prematurely. I don't particularly like it, but it's fairly popular, cheap, and works (in the short-medium term)

dirtdog

Cheers. What about the TB? Is there anything that's thicker than the gti one and longer so it can get machined? Guess I should get measuring some vans