• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gjuk

Green Brake Fluid In My Car ?

gjuk

Never seen Green Brake fluid before, any ideas what it could be?

It was a trackday car before I put it back on the road, so maybe some 5.1 or racing fluid?

Thanks

J

welshpug

do you have a citroen with hydraulic suspension?

gjuk

do you have a citroen with hydraulic suspension?

It's a 205gti.

I guess someone might have filled it with autobox or power steering fluid?

Was a trackday car. :-/

Paul_13

Fairy liquid

• Like 1

Anthony

I know that one of the highish end brake fluids (that I've completely forgotten the name of :blush: ) is blue in colour, so it could be that which has discoloured/mixed to look greenish

welshpug

ATE Super Blue possibly ant? :D

might be that which needs a change.

how dark is it? it may just be a lot of copper in it from the lines, as well as the usual discolouration, if its a really dark yukky colour I would flush out and get some fresh dot 4 or 5.1 in there.

if its a bright green colour I suspect it may be LHM mineral fluid.

gjuk

it is grass green colour.

Think it's screen wash lol.

TooMany2cvs

it is grass green colour.

Sounds VERY like LHM to me...

If it is, then you're very likely to be replacing every single seal in the brakes, sorry to say. But - if they haven't died yet, and the fluid's been in there a while, then it probably isn't LHM.

jackherer

I agree, it sounds like LHM. Screenwash would boil instantly and the pedal would sink to the floor. AFAIK there is no green brake fluid made, specifically to avoid mix ups with LHM. What does it smell like? Screenwash smells of volatile spirits and LHM is a sickly sweet smell.

And as above, LHM will destroy the seals in a conventional brake system (and vice versa.)

gjuk

LHM, what is this?

TT205

Hydraulic fluid iirc

TooMany2cvs

LHM, what is this?

It's the mineral-based hydraulic fluid for hydraulic-suspension Citroens. It's not miscible with the normal DOT3/4 brake fluids used in normal cars, hence the really virulent colour to easily identify it. It's not only not miscible, but actively attacks the "rubber" used in various seals. There are some seals which are compatible with both, but they're definitely not the norm.

Years ago, my mother's Xant had DOT brake fluid put in it by the Cit dealer, at the first service! On the way home, the brakes started to stick on. By the time she got the 20 miles back, it was down to a crawl with so much smoke and heat coming off the front brakes that the front hubs and bearings were utterly buggered. The entire hydraulic system had to be replaced, along with various other bits that had been cooked through the heat generated.

welshpug

green citroen lifeblood :D

Mineral fluid used in most until recently where they went back to dot for the brakes, the xantia bx xm and a few others used a single HP pump and reservoir with a few valves and hydraulic spheres instead of coil springs, the same system provided pressure for the brakes.

as it happens Mineral fluid is used by Shimano and a few others in bicycle braking systems, usually pink but you can use LHM in them!

but the likes of Hope, hayes etc use Dot fluids.