• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
m@ttc

Inner Wheel Housing Panel Replacement.

m@ttc

hi there, im in two minds wether to chop up a new panel or replace the whole thing.

this is how the car is at the moment

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a429/mattc205/SAM_0803_zps04bbbf13.jpg

this is the new panel

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a429/mattc205/SAM_0804_zpsf078e7ab.jpg

so my question is how difficult is this compared to other panel replacements? if i take it off there's only the chassis leg left, should it be straight forward in terms of every thing lining up afterwards? Or should i just take the chickens way and cut the pieses out i need? dont really want to do that as theres a lot more welding involved in doing that.

also will i need to take this panel off?

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a429/mattc205/SAM_0805_zps9eca5145.jpg

thankyou, matt.

Juttie205

check out my dimma restortaion thread as i have carried out all those repairs and you can see how i did it any question please feel free to ask.

m@ttc

thanks for the offer of help juttie i have been following your project with great interest. Thing is i dont really want to cut my new pannel up i'd like to change the whole panel if its simple enought. id have to take the suspension strut top panel ofF the car, so i'm wondering if it's risky takeing the suspention top off? will it need jiging up to reweld or is it ok just to scribe the posistion of it before taking it off and lining it up by eye? I never done any car body work before and have spent a lot of money on the car, dont want to balls it all up now. :D

Juttie205

that's the main reason I didn't do it as a complete panel as there is a lot more work involved and you will have to remove the strut tower as you say also all the strengthening beams as well then remove it from the bulkhead hence why I cut and joined them and to be honest once the car is back together you would not notice. I never jigged mine but I never removed the strut support.

Tom Fenton

Cut and weld in the bits that are required. Do a good job of the fitting up welding and grinding back and no one will ever know the difference.

m@ttc

well i've decided to grow a pair and the panels nearly off the car. just hope it all goes ok :ph34r: I think id have just used the pieces i have cut out for the holes in the panel, but iwanted to get a proper job done on the hole behined the ripped strengthening plate plus there be less welding to do in the long run.

Dizzee stuff

I made a repair panel for mine, don't see the point in cutting out good metal then you have the problem of trying to seal it up to look factory fresh

nick205

Hi,

New to the forum having just acquired an F plate GTI project. It needs pretty much exactly the same repairs to the front drivers side inner wing and chassis leg. I've been trying to locate repair panels, but no luck so far.

Can I ask where you sourced yours from?

I do have the offer of the front half of a clean body shell, which I could cut up to get the section I need, but a new panel would be preferable and quicker!

Thanks and good luck with the repairs.

Nick

m@ttc

Hi,

New to the forum having just acquired an F plate GTI project. It needs pretty much exactly the same repairs to the front drivers side inner wing and chassis leg. I've been trying to locate repair panels, but no luck so far.

Can I ask where you sourced yours from?

I do have the offer of the front half of a clean body shell, which I could cut up to get the section I need, but a new panel would be preferable and quicker!

Thanks and good luck with the repairs.

Nick

hi nick i was told when i brought it , it was the last one he had in stock. but here are his details if you want to phone him

tel = 01977 677877

email = dean@peugeotparts.co.uk.

cost me £46 posted.

MikeC

And a pretty sound man too, got a lot of stuff off him, can be a bit saucy price wise but, what can ya do :)

nick205

hi nick i was told when i brought it , it was the last one he had in stock. but here are his details if you want to phone him

tel = 01977 677877

email = dean@peugeotparts.co.uk.

cost me £46 posted.

Thanks for the details on that, I guessed they'd be pretty scarce.

Having had the car further apart, the rot is worse than expected, particularly around the OSF suspension turret. Given the overall state of the body I've actually picked up a bare body shell in better shape and plan to put them side by side and do a rebuild. Once the old shell is stripped I'll take a decision on whether to try and revive it or chop it up for scrap.