• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bondyshambles

Electric Window Fault. Is It Ok To Do This?

bondyshambles

Hi there.

About a month ago i had a problem with my passenger side window. It would go down but not go back up. I was pointed to a thread basically saying that it was a switch problem. I believe that this could be the correct answer. I have bought some switches to test the theory. The problem i have is that the car is a daily and i could not afford for it to be off the road. I had obviously managed to get the window back up (by luck). So i was thinking that while the window is still up i was going to get a block of wood or someting to jam it in place while i test the mechanism so if worse came to the worse at least the glass is still shut. My question is, Does the glass in anyway clip into the runner or am i safe to try this assuming that the motor will just go down and then reseat itself back into the glass if it goes up ? Also, because the motor itself will be under less pressure on the way back up (as in not lifting the weight of the glass) will i be getting a false reading in what i am seeing ?

Cheers in advance.

Tom Fenton

The glass will not just "reseat" itself so don't go blocking anything up until you have worked out how to properly attach and remove the glass.

The electric window motor is very simple, two terminals on it, connect one to positive one to negative to lower, swap them round to raise. If you are worried about getting to a point where you cannot do either, get yourself a couple of spade terminals and crimp to long lengths of wire, bare off the other ends. If you get stuck, plug these onto the motor, and use the bare ends direct to the battery to drive the window up or down as required.

My experience is that the switches will be Ok and it will be a wiring fault in the connection between doors and car.

bondyshambles

Ok thanks for the input. Would it still be possible to pick up these connections off the motor if the glass is down in the door or does the glass have to be up ?

Slo

take out the door speaker the motor connection is just below it easy peasy to get to

base-1

If someone has a known good switch you can test with first it's worth doing as it's the easiest and quickest thing to do. I've had at least 4 dodgy window switches up til now, the latest two were a complete failure and one that would only go up, not down. Second hand switches solved these two straight off.

welshpug

they're very easy to take apart and clean up :)

swap the drivers switch over, as it is identical, should tell you if its a switch or wiring issue.

bondyshambles

I did change the switches around on the day that it origainally stopped and eventually it did spring into life. I was bending wires etc too at the same time so as i said in my original post i got lucky and can't exactly say if it was wiring or switch. The window has always been slow and then eventually stopped but i agree that if the motor is working then surely it should go up and down, not just down.

MikeC

Sounds like the wiring fault i had before. The feeds are shared between both doors. Phase 1/1.5 it is grey and orange cables. They went where the cable comes out through the door frame to the switch. Peugeot in their wisdom decided to just strip the cables (Orande and grey) and join them together with heat shrink. These cables are joind so the feed from the drivers door can feed the motor. In my issue it would barely work from driver side either. If you do get it running see if the centre cable (12v feed to the switch) gets hot as it had melted on my own car, and you'll find the window quite slow. In the end i sourced a loom, made the job a whole lot easier, and crimped the joints.

bondyshambles

Right then....I knew that the drivers side window worked so i proceeded to test 5 switches on the drivers side loom.....they all worked. So after further investigation i found this...

windowwire_zps184a46e3.jpg

Now it looked ok as in not cut through or anything. I chopped it anyway and then reseated the wire. I didn't have the same connectors avaliable so i spent over an hour opening up the connector and then putting it back together. I gave the plugs a quick spray with contact cleaner and put it back together. Ooooossshhh we have lift off. Can't believe that the wire was the culprit or how it got cut come to think of it. Lets see how long it lasts.