• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TT205

Dodgy Head Lights

TT205

Is it common for the head light lens to fall out of the 'housing'?

My o/s headlight lens fell out while braking on Sunday and I prompyly ran it over

Is it sensible to use a bit of silicone for extra security or was this a once in a lifetime act of God?

welshpug

I have seen it happen once or twice, I think mainly on pattern replacements, original units have metal clips as well as the sealant.

I would use something a bit stronger than bog standard silicone, some tiger seal would be ideal.

Anthony

Yep, quite common as the sealant holding the lenses in place is breaking down on most original lights now and more often than not the glass is barely held on.

Good tale-tale sign is that moisture starts to get into the light as the sealant breaks down, so any fogging or moisture droplets behind the glass needs attention before it completely falls apart (well, that and before the moisture ruins the reflector)

I've used white silicon sealant before to reattach the lens and it's been fine, looking no different to standard, not coming away nor letting moisture in :)

chipstick

As above, I used clear sanitary sealent on mine and I'll admit - I was a bit sceptical at first but it's very, very firmly attached.

TT205

Cheers guys :D

adam1973

I bought a new Valeo stickered off ebay for very good price as mine had the chrome reflector "going off"... might get other side for winter too :-)

TT205

I bought a second hand one and all's well :D

Just for the record, can you still get them new from Peugeot and if so - how much

Going by this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Peugeot-205-Gti-Phase-1-Valeo-Headlights-Uniquelly-Rare-Pair-/261255765106?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3A205&hash=item3cd40e9c72

a pair are on sale for £180

So they seem rather pricey on ebay now - although a lot cheaper than for some newer cars!

welshpug

no point asking on here, just call your helpful pug dealer.

Never go by ebay prices, especially off those guys, 205 "nuts" is quite apt :lol:

they are the earlier small reflector type too, get the larger full reflector type made by valeo, ECP and GSF used to be able to supply without issue.

Edited by welshpug

Mac Crash

Despite being all over it recently, the little 205 failed it's MOT yesterday on:

1. Rear Fog Lamp not working (probably the wiring or bulb)

2. O/S/F wheel bearing (rough when rotated) have bought new premium bearing, local motor factor had one in stock, old stock off the shelf and commented how it had been a long time since he has seen "one of them" meaning the GTI- he also said the bearing hasn't changed and is still the same bearing right up to the 207, not sure if that's true or not. So hub off on Sunday and see if I can find somewhere to press out the old and fit the new bearing and all is good.

3. Nearside headlight aim beam image kick up to the offside - hmmm, any ideas what's causing this and how to remedy it?

I have 10 working days to fix the above and retest at no extra charge, it's an old school decent garage. Your help as always would be appreciated.

welshpug

Sounds like the bulb is in wrong or dead

Mac Crash

The bulb is okay, new 130/90's recently, maybe something has moved as the filter is hard up against the back of the light, I'll check everything and find a white wall somewhere :mellow: I just wanted to check to see if you had come across this before, thanks

welshpug

Do hope you have uprated wiring in that case!!

Mac Crash

Do hope you have uprated wiring in that case!!

hmmm, nope, it did occur to me but my pal who ran his 1.9 205 from new for 13 years until it's demise ran 130/90 bulbs and never had any issues, he's a S&T tech with Network Rail and electrics is his thing but I'll put this to him, saying that, he had the twin headlamp conversion, so your saying the standard wiring will get hot or there will be high resistance? if upgrading the wiring then from the bulb holder back to where, I value your knowledge so please speak your mind :mellow:

Right, back to the wretched MOT...

1. Rear fog lamp not working - traced to the bulb holder, dodgy earth, so cleaned up by wiggling the bulb back and forth and now working fine.

2. Nearside headlamp aim - right, I forgot about the little stalks with knurled/grooved adjusters that twist and make the lamps move left/right, so I think I have that covered, just need to remove the air filter to get to it, so have sprayed the mechanism with release agent in the meantime, so will measure it against white wall and mark the position then try to adjust it left of this and see where I am.

3. N/S/F wheel bearing - nearly killed my back getting the driveshaft nut off :wacko:

hub now removed and will present to the mechanic in the morning (travel to work in Aberdeen everyday atm) so he can press out the old bearing and fit the new one.

This is my first 205 wheel bearing so I have a few questions please.

Hopefully photo attached properly showing existing hub from the 1.9gti, outside bearing diameter is 72mm

72mm_outside_diameter.jpg

2nd photo showing new bearing up against hub, this isn't going to fit unless the outer ring is a guide for pressing the new bearing in?

the outside overall diameter is 82mm I think and the next inside diameter ring is 72mm, the same as the existing bearing.

new_bearing_against_existing_hub.jpg

Here is a photo of the bearing assembly

new_bearing_assembly.jpg

What is the smaller nut for? I am assured by the motor factor who supplied the bearing that it is for the 1.9 gti, so I am hoping

the outer ring on the new bearing is for pressing home the bearing?

Welsh Pug > I read your article on the forum all about front hubs, thanks, so I was convinced I had the right bearing but now I'm unsure, please advise! :mellow:

jackherer

You need to use a relay or two to prevent problems. The weakest point that ends up burning/melting first is the multiplug that connects to the fusebox in the cases I've seen.

Mac Crash

You need to use a relay or two to prevent problems. The weakest point that ends up burning/melting first is the multiplug that connects to the fusebox in the cases I've seen.

Yip, just spoke with my pal and he was advised the same but never bothered, he says it is best to use a relay, will pass on your comments. The relay being like using a switch but with electricity doing the work and not the switch, wired direct to the battery. Thanks for that.... he also said he got a slight delay when switching to high beam, like a millisecond black-out... mines seem fine, just concerned about the nearside beam because I don't want to be an arsehole and blind people, but the standard bulbs are not good enough.

Mac Crash

Because I'm looking at the back of the hub, am I not seeing the overall diameter of the hub bearing because it's sitting up against the seat?

woodymi16

In your 1st picture your not measuring the complete bearing width to include the outer race, the new bearing at 82mm is the correct size.

See link for hub measurements,

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles.html/_/articles-guides/brakes-suspension-steering/205-front-hub-differences-what-brakes-fit-etc-r90

Mac Crash

In your 1st picture your not measuring the complete bearing width to include the outer race, the new bearing at 82mm is the correct size.

See link for hub measurements,

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles.html/_/articles-guides/brakes-suspension-steering/205-front-hub-differences-what-brakes-fit-etc-r90

Well your right, I forgot the bearing is pressed in from the drive flange side, so bearing is fitted and hub back on the car, it's a stark comparison to the old bearing, there was no movement but it was consistently noisy, now the car is silent again.

Mac Crash

car successfully MOT'd :)

It turns out the nearside headlamp is a continental type replaced before I bought the car, MOT tester couldn't find deflectors so his auto-electrician taped up the headlight instead. that's why the beam was so far out, good to know at least... I'll now be replacing both headlights as the lights are still not as good as I think they should be, probably due to dulling/greying of the reflectors and fitment of a relay in the system as the driving lamps are running 130's too.