• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
happypatrol

Wishbone Anti Roll Bar Problem

happypatrol

I've just started to renew the front suspension on the gti with new wishbones (Delphi ) anti roll bar links. Springs and top mounts with bearings.

The problem is since I've rebuilt it the strut/shocker is fouling with the anti roll bar link. When I'm turning lock to lock.

I suspect I've been supplied with the wrong wish bones but they do look right to the eye but I guess it would be hard to tell by sight

Does anyone know if the gti wishbones are in any way different to other 205 ones

The suspension seems to be sitting way too high too but the car want lowered before so it should be sitting at the same height. I'm guessing I may have the wrong springs too.

My pArt supplier is closed today so I will need to speak to them tomorrow. Spent alot of time doing this work and looks like it will need to be stripped again.

Any ideas anyone ??

welshpug

pictures speak a thousand words and all that :)

pugdamo

Maybe youve put the shocks on the wrong sides,that will cause the arb link to foul the strut,as for the height are the shocks located fully with the locating peg in the cut out in the hub.

I hope that makes sense,im crap with words,lol

happypatrol

The shocks were new bilsteins that were on the car when I bought it.

I didn't detach them from the hub so I know they aren't round the wrong way.

Do you know of the top mount that bolts on to the body is sided ??? I did take them off to clean and paint them. They looked the same tho. It's the only thing that I can think I could've got on the wrong way.

It's driving me nuts.

happypatrol

pictures speak a thousand words and all that :)

You been talking to my dad. That's like something he would say. Ha ha ha

DamirGTI

All aftermarket wishbones have some length difference from OE ones .. some less , some more up to the point that the suspension needs wheel alignment .

As to the drop links , i also had them rubbing on the strut assembly with aftermarket wishbones .. and rectified the issue by adding a few shims on the top where they're bolted on the struts (on the opposite side , in the way to move them inside so that they do not rub on the struts while truing )

Anyway , id check wheel alignment as well .. since you've been dismantling the struts , any time you're doing a wishbone , strut/strut mounts , steering rack joints , front wheel bearings etc. .. suspension/steering jobs , it's advised to re-check the alignment afterwards .

D

happypatrol

All aftermarket wishbones have some length difference from OE ones .. some less , some more up to the point that the suspension needs wheel alignment .

As to the drop links , i also had them rubbing on the strut assembly with aftermarket wishbones .. and rectified the issue by adding a few shims on the top where they're bolted on the struts (on the opposite side , in the way to move them inside so that they do not rub on the struts while truing )

Anyway , id check wheel alignment as well .. since you've been dismantling the struts , any time you're doing a wishbone , strut/strut mounts , steering rack joints , front wheel bearings etc. .. suspension/steering jobs , it's advised to re-check the alignment afterwards .

Thanks for your advise. Its my intention to get the wheell alignment done anyway.

I also changed the track rod end just now so maybe its just a little bit too far out. I measured the new ones to roughly what the old ones were so it shouldnt be a mile out.

I will take your advice and maybe try a washer. I will measure the arms and compare them in the morning.

Thanks again.

GTI6BOY

I'm sure I've had this before and it's due to the car being off the ground.

Put the car back on the deck and it should all be ok

Anthony

Did you refit the shock-hub clamp bolt the wrong way around? If you did, that can foul on the drop link.

Is the bottom of the shock is correctly aligned/located in the hub? There's normally a small tab or dimple on the shock that aligns with and located in the split on the back of the hub, and if that's not aligned, the shock will be twisted and likely to cause issues with the drop links,

• Like 1

happypatrol

Thanks guys.

I refitted the old wishbones this morning before work and didn't have a problem. I also made sure the struts were in the hubs ok and bolts were ok. I hadn't removed these anyway.

I only got the car a week ago so wasn't sure what someone else had done before me.

I've spoken to my supplier who are going to get me a different brand of wishbone at more expense obviously but they will work something out due to my inconvenience and time wasted.

I will let you know.

I agree that when both wheels are off the ground the strut will be close to the drop link but even when mines is off the ramp it was still touching when turning lock to lock. It could have been dangerous if I hadn't noticed.

Thanks again.