• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brist

205 Wishbone

brist

Hi guys,

Ive recently discovered that the ball joint on the drivers side wishbone on my 205 is rather wobbly. Are there any do's and don'ts with aftermarket parts?

Ive been looking at firstline wishbones, and this one

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/details/PEUGEOT/309/1.9/1990/__/100/QSA1026S/front-left-track-control-arm/

Are these any good?

It has the 309 GTi wishbones and axels on it.

If anyone could help that would be great, as It doesn't feel particularly safe for daily use..

Many thanks Joe

Miles

The best you can do now is buy locally, expect it to fail but return it under warranty as sending it back via the post is a nightmare

Henry 1.9GTi

euro car parts supply OCAP parts which when I replaced my 309 wishbone matched excactly the OEM one I got from pug.

Also I have first hand experience of seeing OCAP ball joints on very expensive cars so I thought they would be good enough for the pug!

NFS

That looks a good price! how will someone like me know if i need 309 drive shafts to match this wishboneS?

Henry 1.9GTi

if the 205 ones pop out ;)

NFS

if the 205 ones pop out ;)

im assuming you mean the pass side one? is the driverside one okay? dont know alot about this hybrid suspenion setups. and im searching the forum now lol

Miles

Motaquip switched to Ocap, When they did the quality went downhill, Lots didn;t even manage 2,000 miles before the ball joint had gone

Henry 1.9GTi

well its identical to my pug ones where the ball joints are still fine but the front inner bush had gone. I think maybe due to me torquing it at full droop.

NFS I think some people dont bother and do/dont have problems, some people do bother changing both shafts like myself and have no problems. Better safe than sorry especially if you arnt in a position to fix it quickly. Thats just my opinion though.

NFS

well its identical to my pug ones where the ball joints are still fine but the front inner bush had gone. I think maybe due to me torquing it at full droop.

NFS I think some people dont bother and do/dont have problems, some people do bother changing both shafts like myself and have no problems. Better safe than sorry especially if you arnt in a position to fix it quickly. Thats just my opinion though.

Thanks, i need new ball joints on mine and still not sure if i should go for the 205 arms or the 309, im putting in a 24mm arb aswell, will the 309 arms be a good compliement to the 24mm arb?

Henry 1.9GTi

the just increase the track width marginally, 15mm overall I believe so 7.5mm each side? That sounds too much if im honest.

Because this increase comes purely from the bottom of the hub being moved outwards; with the top mount staying where it is it adds -ve camber to the tyre. ~0.5deg -ve per side. A nice little mod to improve your tyre wear if you dont do much motorway driving and will add a little extra front grip which will compound the effect of adding a 24mm rear arb. i.e. nice and lovely oversteer!

NFS

the just increase the track width marginally, 15mm overall I believe so 7.5mm each side? That sounds too much if im honest.

Because this increase comes purely from the bottom of the hub being moved outwards; with the top mount staying where it is it adds -ve camber to the tyre. ~0.5deg -ve per side. A nice little mod to improve your tyre wear if you dont do much motorway driving and will add a little extra front grip which will compound the effect of adding a 24mm rear arb. i.e. nice and lovely oversteer!

So you are saying that having the 309 arms with the 24mm rarb will not work very well? which is better for making the car better handling? is it better to put the 24mm rarb and standard 205 lowerarms?

welshpug

no, he's saying it will work very very well, I have a similar setup, 21mm t/b's 22mm arb, 309 wishbones.

currently stock 205 shafts but it's fairly low and doesn't droop that far so the shafts aren't likely to cause issue however they are running very near full extension on the inner tripod, so I do have some 309 shafts I will tidy up and fit soon.

NFS

Oh i see, i was thinking that they work well as i went out in Baz's car and he had a simleir setup + zx rear arms and good dampers, and the car was an animal in the corners, is there a downside to the 24mm rarb? and what type of 309 driveshafts do i need? gti? base model?

welshpug

depends on the hubs, if you have 1.9 you need gti, not sure what will fit if you have base model or 1.6 hubs but there are shafts that do fit.

NFS

Yes i have 1.9 hubs, so i need 309 gti wishbones and driveshalfts, is that it? or does anything else have to be replaced, i think i have a BE3 box so im assuming the shalfs slot in okay?

welshpug

straight in, might as well bung some new seals an oil in whilst you're at it if the history is not known.

brist

Ive gone for the first line one. Had to get it quickly today for the weekend. Heard they were quite good from a couple of people. Ill let you know in a couple of thousand miles if its made out of cheese. Cheers Guys

nixonmi16

To help the life of the ball joints pull the dust covers off by removing the locking ring/spring and pack with grease. You will be amazed how little grease are in these from new I have done this on mine and still going strong after 30000 miles from when I was getting 12000 at best and both times the arms are firstline

dirtdog

SOrry to post without anything useful but...these are the cheapest you can get wishbones at the moment yes? I read somewhere a while back they were 30 odd quid but after looking at the 205 ones (309 to much hassle for me at the moment) they are 40+

Alan77

SOrry to post without anything useful but...these are the cheapest you can get wishbones at the moment yes? I read somewhere a while back they were 30 odd quid but after looking at the 205 ones (309 to much hassle for me at the moment) they are 40+

Dirtdog, I've just bought a Motaquip near side 205gti wishbone from Allan Kay Components for £49. It has the decent Kleber bushes in it too. I just wish I could also get an off side, but Motaquip don't do them any more...