• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

1600 Drum Brakes

Obey_R

Evening gents,

I recently stripped, cleaned and greased the rear drum brakes, refitted and adjusted the brakes up again, no problem. But after the last few weeks they've been getting gradually worse to the point where the handbrake is u.s and foot brake is only working the fronts.

Under inspection, the adjusters on the rear drums have wound themselves back in, so they're sitting back from the drum.

There aren't any 'auto adjuster' catches on, which I know don't auto adjust anyway, but would they at least stop them from winding back in?

For the time being I've just adjusted them back up and put a drop of loctite on the threads.

Any suggestions?

Daviewonder

Have you fitted the LH adjuster to the RH side and vice versa?

If you have then they work in the opposite way to what they are supposed to.

Edited by Daviewonder

Obey_R

No, the adjusters themselves work fine by hand, it's just under heavy braking I can only assume they start to unwind?

Only have the adjustment wheel fitted, the small bent bit of metal isn't fitted anymore. They're the only bits that are meant to auto adjust, right?

Edited by Obey_R

Daviewonder

The little bits of metal stop the adjusters unadjusting too, it works like a ratchet.

Edited by Daviewonder

Obey_R

Yeah that's my problem, is that they're not fitted, thanks for the clarification.

Are you aware if they are available to purchase, either separately or with drums etc?

Willem_Jacobs

Can't tell, theres two different makes of them... Bendix or Bosch if i'm not mistaken...

Best thing to do is to replace the whole brake kit (not the drums themselves tho) The sets differ in type of brake cylinders (different shape of mounting) and the adjuster system... I've recently done this on the brakes of my mums 106 sport...

Almost got to the point of replacing everything for disc-brake items...

welshpug

its bendix or girling, 1.6 is girling rears, 40mm wide shoes.

most motorfactors do them now as a kit, not sure if these specific ones are available however.