• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Conflict

Offsets / Wheel Sizes On A Dimma

Conflict

Hi, I'm struggling to find the exact info I'm after...

If you leave the suspension set-up on a 1.9 Gti completely standard, then fit a Dimma kit (just for show) what sort of offset and wheel sizes do you need?

I know about cutting the arches and everything, but I wanted to sort the wheels out first then build the kit around them.

I mean standard wheels are what? 15" x 6" with an ET 18, but running 195/45 R15 tyres they actually measure approx 7.5” across…

I was looking at these (because there cheap) :

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

15”x8” ARE ET15 OFFSET (But actually measure 9” across)

Can I have an ET0 running 15”x8” with the use of some 15mm hubcentric spacers on front and rear with no problems and will they fill the arches on the dimma kit ok?

I reckon that 15x8J ET15 with 15mm spacers will give me approx 70mm wider on the wheelbase if you measure from the outer wheel either side of the car. Which is based on the wheels sticking out about 35mm extra per side, is that enough, and do you reckon they'll still clear the arch on the suspension side of the car?

I know this is probably on here somewhere but can't find it - please can someone shed some light on this.

Thanks! Chris

B11 BOB

Hi, I'm struggling to find the exact info I'm after...

If you leave the suspension set-up on a 1.9 Gti completely standard, then fit a Dimma kit (just for show) what sort of offset and wheel sizes do you need?

I know about cutting the arches and everything, but I wanted to sort the wheels out first then build the kit around them.

I mean standard wheels are what? 15" x 6" with an ET 18, but running 195/45 R15 tyres they actually measure approx 7.5 across

I was looking at these (because there cheap) :

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649[/

url]

15x8 ARE ET15 OFFSET (But actually measure 9 across)

Can I have an ET0 running 15x8 with the use of some 15mm hubcentric spacers on front and rear with no problems and will they fill the arches on the dimma kit ok?

I reckon that 15x8J ET15 with 15mm spacers will give me approx 70mm wider on the wheelbase if you measure from the outer wheel either side of the car. Which is based on the wheels sticking out about 35mm extra per side, is that enough, and do you reckon they'll still clear the arch on the suspension side of the car?

I know this is probably on here somewhere but can't find it - please can someone shed some light on this.

Thanks! Chris

Chris

I dont think these wheels will fill your arches on a dimma kit and putting on spacers all around is not a good option.To make it look right you need wider alloys at the back and ofset at the front to set it all of these come as a set the original dimma alloys are like that.However you can still get these alloys there is a link on here to a supplier that makes dimma style alloys.

Conflict

Anyone know how wide I'll need to go then? Surely some 9" wide wheels and 15mm spacers can't be that far off?

I mean I could lower it a touch to make the arches sit over the alloys nicely as well.

B11 BOB

Anyone know how wide I'll need to go then? Surely some 9" wide wheels and 15mm spacers can't be that far off?

I mean I could lower it a touch to make the arches sit over the alloys nicely as well.

Chris

Its not the width but the offset that needs to be right.Thats why they are called split rims they have a wider outer facing lip than normal alloys so the centre sits deeper allowing the wheel to fill more of the arch but still remaining 7.5 inches wide and being able to fit 195/205 50 15 tyres.

To achive the desired look the front wheels are not as deep has the rear wheels giving it a nice look.I will try to pm you the link of the manufacturers that still do dimma style split rims im sure someone on here has them on his profile signiture.

B11 BOB

Chris

Try a company called force racing they make 2 piece 205 1.9 gti style alloys priced at £100 each.Ask them if they can make you some up with the offset you need to fill your arches with they also do 3 piece alloys.

• Like 1

Conflict

Ok, I'll get in touch with Force racing, see what they say... Thanks Bob.

The original style wheels are a bit pricey for what I'm after Welshpug!

Thanks, Chris

dino20vt

As mentioned 15's will look lost in the arches unless you run American police car sized profiles which will look naff!

B11 BOB

As mentioned 15's will look lost in the arches unless you run American police car sized profiles which will look naff!

15 inch alloys with the right offset will be ok on a dimma kitted 205 I used to have 15s on mine and due to the offset being correct for a dimma they filled the arches perfectly.

Conflict

15 inch alloys with the right offset will be ok on a dimma kitted 205 I used to have 15s on mine and due to the offset being correct for a dimma they filled the arches perfectly.

Bob can you remember what size offsets and wheel/tyre widths you used on your Dimma?

I have emailed force racing, so will let you know what they say as soon as I get a reply!

Conflict

If anyone is interested here's copies of the emails I sent to force racing:

To: info@force-racing.co.uk
Subject: 205 GTI Dimma Wheels

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help, I own a 1.9 205 GTi, and was planning on fitting a DIMMA bodykit to it.

It has completely standard suspension & brakes with the original rear beam (not a 309 GTi beam).

Could you advise me as to what offsets & wheel width I need to ensure the wheels will come level with the wider arches, or near level?

The current wheels are standard 15"x6", ET 18, 4x108 Speedlines with 195/45 R15 profile tyres (so tyres are about 7.5" Wide)

Could you split these rims, and also create the correct offset to fill my arches at the same time? (Or advise what size spacers I would need)

Please provide me with a quote if possible.

Regards,

Chris

Subject: RE: 205 GTI Dimma Wheels
Sent: Thu, Jul 25, 2013 8:22:23 PM

Hi Chris,

I
only have a max spun rim of 50 mm that i can add to the Speedline
wheels to make a 7” wheel and i suspect that will not be wide enough,

The only way these will fit a Dimma arch is using spacers and i cannot
advise how much would be needed , you would, need to dome some calcs
using your existing wheel as a gauge

Costs for the 7” conversion would be £110 per wheel

Sorry i cannot be any more help

Regards carl

To: carl@austin5484.fsnet.co.uk
Subject: Re: RE: 205 GTI Dimma Wheels

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the reply... I'm a little confused at what you said though:

"max spun rim of 50 mm that i can add to the Speedline wheels to make a 7” wheel"

As the wheels are already 6" surely another 50mm will make them 8" wheels?

I'm unsure about the process of how you make a split rim but I am an Engineer so should be able to follow any description.

Would I need to sort out a courier also on top of £110 per wheel?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi
Chris, when i make the conversion i remove 25mm [ back to a point
where the casting is thick enough to accept the tapped holes] from the
original wheel leaving it at a little over 5” , then i add the outer
rim at 25 or 50mm width,

You need to have a fitting and see how much extra rim you need to fill the arch.

Regards carl

welshpug

how much wider are the arches?

get out there with a tape and that will tell you what you need.

Henry Yorke

The first Dimmas were on 15" wheels Compomotive cross spoke split rims

Conflict

Arches are about 50mm wider... Guess thats how much more I need the alloys to stick out then. I'm thinking only way of acheiving this is using some Eibach 30mm hubcentric spacers with 9" ET15 wide alloys. That will give me 48mm as I'll gain18mm per side of the alloy (based on my current 195 tyres are 7.5" wide) but I'll be running with an ET-15...

Is that even do-able? I mean running a negative offset?

welshpug

ignore the tyre sizes, you wont want a 195 on a 9" rim anyway!!

you wont need any spacers on a 9" ET0 rim to gain 50mm.

www.willtheyfit.com

Edited by welshpug

Conflict

You sure Welshpug? I mean here's my reasoning:

Widest part of my current wheels are the tyres rather than the rims themselves. They are 195mm = 7.5"

So say I get some 9" rims I'll gain 3/4" per side = 18mm

Then I change the current offset of ET18 to ET-15 using ET15 alloys with a combination of 30mm spacers... I'll gain another 33 mm

33mm + 18mm = 51mm

Doesn't that seem right? Or have I just got it all wrong? lol

welshpug

rim widths for a 195 50 are 5.5 to 7"...

o.e speedlines are ET19.

you have forgotten to take into account the width of the wheel from the seat of the bead outwards, usually half an inch or more.

not to mention it'll not handle great with a positive offset.

Edited by welshpug