• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

Why Are My Brakes Still Spongy?

johnhenry

Morning All

Im really baffled by why I still have a spongy brake pedal, my setup is.

Original Servo

New bendix 19mm Master cylinder (from ECP)

New swaged braided brake lines complete to calliper (including compensator and then to calliper)

(EDIT) 1 - 2 year old callipers - varying brands - all from motor factors

new discs and pads all round

cheapo 4 dot brake fluid

Ive been using the Gunson Ezeebleed kit, got the air'ed section out of the system and now have solid fluid (couple of tiny bubbles every now and then, nothing massive)

brake pedal still spongy :/

my thoughts:

1) potentially air blocked somewhere - would increasing the pressurising of the air feed into the eezebleed help shift any of these locks?

2) Servo related - the sunroof works as should, and i have replaced all hose line from the servo with fuel line quality hose. So im doubtful its this.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

John

Edited by johnhenry

Anthony

Have you bedded the pads in yet? I tend to find that new pads (particularly when mated to used disks) can feel noticeably spongy for the first few miles, but that this disappears after a few miles as the pads bed into the disks.

Failing that, it's likely to be that there's still some air trapped somewhere in the system. An EZ bleed normally works quite well, but sometimes I find that I just can't get a good pedal with it and end up using the "pump the pedal" 2 man method (or vice-versa) which sorts the problem - it can take a while to bleed sometimes for no obvious reason and take a few goes at each caliper to ensure that all the air is out.

19mm MC is a little small for a GTi btw (and much too small if you're running larger piston'd calipers like GTi-6) but that shouldn't make it spongy as such, merely just make for a slightly longer pedal travel.

johnhenry

Thanks Anthony

theres some resistance pedal and a point where it doesnt want to travel further, so i assume its binding at that point, ill potter it around the village over the next few days try and bed things a little see if it improves!

the 19mm bendix unit was a copy of what came off it, wanted to make sure i had the same part going on as i used before, wont be going to any other calipers or setup hopefully!

I normally would do to a two man fluid change, but sadly, the help isnt really here :/

will keep this updating if the problem doesnt go away! Cheers

dcc

My mate on here had an eazy bleed kit, I then bled his brakes the old fashioned way, and it made a night and day difference.

Goliath

My mate on here had an eazy bleed kit, I then bled his brakes the old fashioned way, and it made a night and day difference.

Not really, it seemed to make a difference at the time, but actually driving the car the pedal goes just as far down (almost to the floor) before the brakes start to work. I think that is probably because I have put gti6 brakes on and not changed the MC!