• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pugleyrich

Dash Lights On Start Up

Pugleyrich

I've done a search but can't find a topic covering the dash lights that should come on when the car starts. Can someone confirm what I should be seeing?

I currently get the oil pressure warning lights, water temp warning light, "stop", handbrake warning and the battery warning light. I don't get any others. I am currently low on fuel and wondered if my reserve light is broken.

Thanks

DanteICE

Carry a can of fuel around with you and see if it comes on before you conk out.

You should see all of the above you mention and they should all go out on start up.

farmer

My sender broke in my car, sounds the same as your fault.

It's under the rear seat if you haven't been there before.

Pugleyrich

Thanks for the help. Should I be seeing the coolant level light too as mine is always out?

welshpug

no, as that indicates the coolant level...

does your gauge still work?

Pugleyrich

I realise that...

I just wondered which turn on for a second as the key is turned before going out. All other lights come on (save the headlight ones and the coolant level) before going out. Coolant temp gauge works and the warning light comes on before going out. Oil pressure gauge possibly has a bad earth as it works intermittently. Oil pressure warning light also comes on for a second before going off, oil temp gauge works but the warning light doesn't come on, and fuel gauge works but no light.

Once the car starts, all lights go off as they should. I just need to know whether any of the warning lamps aren't working.

Anthony

You should have the following lights on ignition on (but engine not running)

• STOP warning light
  • Oil pressure warning light
  • High coolant temperature warning light
  • Batttery/charge warning light
  • ABS warning light (if fitted)
  • Engine management warning light (on Motronic models only)
Other warning/indication lights will work as normal if conditions that would normally trigger them are met (eg lights on, low fuel, indicators, low coolant level etc) but they won't light up by default.

The 205 dash doesn't really have a ignition on lights check like many newer cars have, and most of the warning lights are on because they're correctly indicating that the criteria required to illuminate them is present - the low oil pressure from the engine not running for example lights up the STOP, oil pressure and high coolant temperature lights, and the battery/charge light is correctly indicating that the alternator isn't charging

• Like 1

Pugleyrich

Thanks Anthony, all of the information I needed!