• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiniGibbo

Diy Gti Windscreen Removal

MiniGibbo

Advice please guys..?

BlueBolt

come and practise on mine

Pugleyrich

If you don't need the seal, cut it out with a stanley knife. If you dont need the glass, kick it out. If you need both, carefully use a chord (washing line for example) to pull it out. Loads of posts on here giving advice on that method in detail

MiniGibbo

Yeah I'd like to keep both, ill have a search thanks.

Tom Fenton

You use thin rope to fit not remove.

To remove it is a case of gentle pressure near a corner to push the glass out of the rubber. Using your foot is the usual method. I have removed many many screens this way, as long as you spread the load out they are surprisingly tough and quite difficult to crack. That said done folk are buffoons and seem to be able to bust a screen as soon as they look at it.

Never be tempted to try and lever it out with a screwdriver, that is s sure fire way to bust it.

MiniGibbo

I am a fool... #worrying

welshpug

get someone to help, someone gentle :lol:

Rock Lobster

I used a slightly different method and it worked a treat, I started at the middle of the screen at the top, started putting small 'levers' in the seal, a bit like when you lever out a bike tyre I guess. I did this most of the way along the top of the screen then it will ease out when apply a bit of pressure, gently does it!

This might not be the best way perhaps but it worked for me. You get a feel for how much pressure to apply and the first corner is a bit tricky but it will come out eventually with the screen and seal intact!