• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eob

Slow Motion Electrics

eob

Everything on my good ol' 205 GTi is wonderfully slow. The wipers, heater motor, the dashboard dims when the lights are turned on... Normally anytime I've fixed this on any other machine it's down to something battery related, either the terminals or the battery itself, but, I've had a decent bash here and with a brand new battery fitted, no luck. Even the starter, despite being brand new and freshly cabled, clicks but doesn't turn.

It does fire perfectly if wired directly from the battery.

Curiouser... and curiouser...

Daviewonder

Are all your earthing points ok? I had starter issues too and it turned out to be the brown multiplug by the gearbox.

eob

I should've been more specific, engine converted to Mi16 so replaced the brown multiplugs at the time and gave them a good clean and enough WD40 to lubricate an elephant down a lift shaft.

welshpug

alternator good?

eob

Yeah no issues, as in, if you drive it for X miles the battery doesn't die. The most annoying symptom, apart from the poor wiper performance, is its reluctance to start. On three turns you'll get the starter to turn once. Frustrating as it's an otherwise insane Mi16 thing and I want it on the road in July ;)

grandos

What is the resistance between the the battery -ve and earth?

Same goes for the starter does it have a good earth and is there a full 12V at the solenoid when cranking.

It does sound like a earth issue somewhere.

harryskid

Battery terminals nice and clean and tight!

Grez28

possibly worth trying a resistance test on your positive side aswell, especially if your still using the originals.

solved a few electrical niggles on mine by making up some new cables for positive and negative. my positive cable was dropping to bits inside but looked fine from the outside :)

Simes

Clean up the earths.

All of them.

eob

Just to give a reference to anyone experiencing same. I went through everything I could find, testing, re-testing. I think as we've already proved that the earth points are more than a weakness on these 'ere motors. I'm in the process of replacing the one in the boot with nicely soldered ring terminals. However in this instance that wasn't the issue, what it actually was was the connectors going to the key on the loom side, not the key itself. A few cable ties here to give them a bit more of a 'push' together and a few insertion/removals to clean them up a bit and the issue is sorted.

A bizarre one I know.

Slo

Do you mean the two fat connectors with large spade terminals in them that go to the ignition switch? Mine's developed a similar issue since doing a turbo conversion. Everything works as it should lights nice and bright, starts perfectly, however anything turned on will kill the radio and the entire dash/clocks dims bloody annoying now i've done all the electrics so i'll have a look at those plugs

eob

Correct! My wiper still is far from WRC levels of clearing water but it solved the majority of my issues, in particular the clicking starter. Cable ties seemed to have the biggest impact.

ALEX

Fitting Slim body starters usually sort the starter issue.

The slow wipers could be the spindles in the plastic holders are caked in rust, But I don't think the wipers were that fast on 205's anyway.

The slow heater could be a dead rehostat http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-309-Citroen-BX-Heater-Module-Rehostat-Resistor-644590-6445-90-/330836015119?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3A205&hash=item4d075cf80f

I'm about to buy one and stumbled on this topic looking for a difference between the 4 and 5 pin type?

The link above is the cheapest I've found but deosn't say which one it is, The one I took off is 5 pin.