• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jimbob

Removal Of Main Wiring Loom

jimbob

Hi guys I am in the middle of swapping out my loom that was heat damaged in the engine bay (too close to manifold) and I am at the point of only having the internal wiring to remove. So really I want to know if it can be done without removing the dash? Or if you have to how to go about it and any tips or helpful info with doing it?

Cheers guys

Henry 1.9GTi

Are you just needing to remove the harness that connects to the 2 brown plugs?

The standard harness arounf the fuse box is an absolute mess and so tangled I'm not sure how you would trace it back to what you need. If you need to remove the whole car harness I would say take the dash out. Theres alot going on around the steering column support BIW structure which you could probably get to by removing the instrument cluster surround. The main harness has atleast 3 clipping points on the back of the dash and sits on top of the heater box. Once you have got the IC surround off its only 4 bolts holding the dash in. I would assume you are going to dismantle the golve box to get at the fuse box easily, once centre console is out might as well remove the whole dash, would certianly make it easier!

jimbob

Thank you Henry,

I'm not going near the fuse box (I don't think) have the two brown plugs I assume go to the fuse box? Was just disconnecting from there but it's the wiring going over the column to the ecu and black relay I'm trying to remove.

I have the speedo unit out, any advice on where to go from here would be fantastic

welshpug

To route it properly you will need loosen the dash as it is clipped to the top of the steering column support bracket as henry mentioned.

You don't need to touch the fusebox unless that is also damaged.

do beware there are some differences in where the wires are located in the brown plugs but its easy to pop the side of the plug out and pull the pins and and swap around.

jimbob

Thank you also, I have a bolt holding dash by ecu tray and assuming one the other side also large bolt in middle of dash under coin tray any others?

welshpug

There's a single bolt in the middle, and two studs that poke through into the scuttle panel area so you'll need to remove the scuttle panel, as well as the two at the lower corners.

You will need to remove the column plastics as well.

jimbob

Column plastics are clear and column dropped for easier access to brown plugs, just removing the centre console. Thank you for the advice I will plug away and see how it goes I'm sure I will be back shortly to pick your brains some more :) but thanks for now

jimbob

What size is this bolt in the middle of the dash under the coin tray??

jimbob

Old loom out, new in! Many thanks to you both for your help