• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hcmini1989

Rear Polycarb Window

hcmini1989

Right im after getting some polycarb windows ive done some searching and the genral way to go is to get some base model rear window seals and use these.But i was curious to see if anybody had fitted some using the normal opening gti mounts .And what they were like how well they sealed etc.

hcmini1989

Allso got some other questions .Is the scratch resistant polycarb worth the extra money?.Ive got a freind who has some (what he thinks) was scratch resistant windows and they are absolutly crap and his car has`nt been out of the garage since he fitted them.Ive spoke to a few people who make the windows and they say it wont scratch but dont offer a warranty if it does.The only reason im asking is ive been offerd a set of polycarbs for £200 plus post for the scratch resistant stuff.Or i make some of my own using normal polycarb for about £50 at the most .

SimonJ

The problem is the GTi rear windows are slightly convex and certainly the polycarb ones I have aren't so you get a little 'ventilation'. I think if i was using the car on a track, as opposed to hillclimbs where the speeds are relatively low, I would be worried about the aerodynamics.

hcmini1989

You can get the wiindows moulded to the shape of the normal ones.But i think the trouble is they might not be rigid enough to seal they might just bow in certain places.

Daz_C

I have some opening ones on my 205, they are moulded so sit better than non moulded ones, they do seal pretty well but not brilliantly, a small amount of water does get in when it rains hard or when I hose it but no amount to worry me .

As for scratch resistant, mine have been on the car for 3 yrs plus and still look pretty good, they are not scratch resistant either.

Henry 1.9GTi

I also use the opening ones in plastic. They are formed so do sit on the seals rather than leaving an inch gap!! But I wasn't too happy with the seal so bonded them to the seal haha so I have non-opening opening rear qtr windows ;) main reason for this was I couldn't for the life of me get the fixed ones into the window aperture. I swear they were too big.