• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Rallee

Replacing Rear Bump Stop - Help!

205Rallee

Had a bit of an off road excursion at a sprint last weekend. Just thought I'd check the car over and having sorted out the big dents in the floor I then spotted that the right hand side rear bump stop has sheared off :( All that's left is either a nut or a thread sticking out of the body.

Does the bump stop screw into the body? Can't drill out the thread that's left as there's no room for a drill. Might try and unscrew the stub that's left but i doubt that will turn after 24 years.

Can you get a new bump stop? If i can't get the thread out of the body .... any ideas on what I could replace it with??

The car has 21mm TB's and 23mm ARB, I'm not going rallying, no one can sit in the back and the ride height isn't very low. I can't see any marks on the suspension arm to show that the bump stop has ever touched the arm. So maybe I don't need one anyway?

starky5

The bump stop sits in a cup that bolts to the car. Where it bolts to had rotted out on mine so I had no bump stops. So I cut the rot out and made up some new sections welding a nut on the back so I could bolt new bump stops on. They are still available from peugeot I believe and power flex do poly versions.

205Rallee

Thanks for the resply. Mine's still solid original metal. Looks like it must be the bolt head or thread still in place. Looked on e- bay and can see the cup, so if the bolt won't come out it might be a case of tacking the cup onto what's left of the bolt.

Tom Fenton

Irwin nutgrips are what you need here.

• Like 1

205Rallee

Had another look at it this afternoon and the bolt is still there but soooo rusty. The nearest size socket/spanner was 12mm but I just couldn't get it to grip. Thought about the nutgrips, but will they just break the head off the nut.? Any tips?

Tom Fenton

Irwin nutgrips are what you need here...... (is there an echo in here!!!)

I have had success a few times doing this job, the remains of the bolt usually does look like something that has spent a few years at the bottom of the sea, BUT, I have managed to undo it a few times, so its worth a try. Otherwise it can be a cow of a job, I have previously had to attack it with drills, taps, angle drills, hammers, chisels, gardening tools, and a helicoil kit. Or as you mention, weld the cup to the body, then fit the rubber.

d7ve_b

+1 for Irwin nut grips, and a their vice grips come in handy for this job to.

205Rallee

Nut grips didn't work :( they couldn't cope with the remains of the bolt head.

There are two small holes in the body adjacent to that bl..dy bolt so might try using those to locate the cup as i haven't got access to a welder.

starky5

What about trying to drill the bolt out? Then tapping the remains for the new bolt? If you punch a good dent in the old bolt with a proper punch then you might get lucky

chipstick

Nut grips didn't work :( they couldn't cope with the remains of the bolt head.There are two small holes in the body adjacent to that bl..dy bolt so might try using those to locate the cup as i haven't got access to a welder.

Do you have a full range of sizes? Try one a size down.

Dizzee stuff

Weld a better nut too the head of the original bolt and then remove or M6?drill straight down the centre and re-tap to original size, M7 i belive ?.

shalmaneser

I hammered an imperial socket onto the remains of my bolt...took it slow with lots of WD40 and it did the trick.

Failing that you could just drop the beam and drill the thing out.

• Like 1

Anthony

If the remains of the bolt are rusted badly enough then nut extractors won't work and you'll need to drill it out.

Had to do that on one of my current 205's and some of my previous ones when they've been too bad for Irwin nut extractors, and seems to usually be when the bump stop has been missing for an extended period of time allowing the elements to wreak havoc. Straight forward enough, but you'll need to remove the beam (or atleast the trailing arm) to gain sufficient access, although possibly a 90 degree drill would work.

Original thread is M8 x 1.25 btw

mowflow

I'll need to have a go at mine soon. The bolt head on both sides look like those things on Lemmy's face. Should be fun.

• Like 1

Slo

I've got one missing with a remaining lemmy bolt head too *sigh