• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiniGibbo

Seam Welding

MiniGibbo

As above really, as anyone who reads my gti's journal will have noticed I want to seam weld my car but am a little lost on what seams need to be done..

any advice..?

MiniGibbo

Is it advised to do any of the seams on the pillars up top or the seam across the top of the bulkhead behind the dash..?

omega

what is seam welding?

I thought it was one continuous weld but some else told me its a stich weld about a inch long then a gap of about a inch then repeat as this is stronger and is likely to distort.

MiniGibbo

its known as seam welding as youre welding the "seams" of the car but yes it is done by stitch welding to stop heat distortion.

That I know, what to do and how I don't haha

DamirGTI

what is seam welding?

17785412ab9d8c95748c1bb65ce5d476f389658e.jpg

1778541126927f572fc0f6a3c825c59425ca299c.jpg

D

• Like 2

MiniGibbo

Is there any plates that need to be added in the engine bay..?

welshpug

There are many, depends what your aims are for the car, can you weld and fabricate?

• Like 1

Cameron

Stitch welding is done to stop cracks spreading, and also because welding the entire seam is a pointless waste of wire. :)

Frankly seam welding is a waste of time and effort for the benefits it brings to a track day car, just stick a good cage in.

• Like 2

MiniGibbo

I just want to stiffen the shell up a little, got a ten point cage to go with it..

Also a benefit if this car has prolonged track time it won't twist the shell.. Unlikely I know as it won't be being raced every weekend but while its in bits seems a good idea.

As for talent, I can work with sheet as I do a lot of industrial cladding and a good friend is doing the welding and giving me a go while we're at it as I've never welded before.

Cameron

Seam welding is a bitch of a job, as you have to get the joint clean first and that can be very difficult with the amount of sealer & paint slapped about the place.. if it sounds like a quick and easy job, it isn't. :lol:

Honestly, for the extra stiffness it will give you over a 10-point cage, I wouldn't even bother. If you do decide to go for it then I'd just go for the key areas: front subframe, chassis rails, sills, and around the rear beam mounting.

• Like 1

Batfink

I doubt you will twist the shell, especially if you are running a proper weld in cage. Seems a lot of time and effort for no gain. My shell has strengthening where the cage is joining the chassis and not a lot else and that will run full slicks.

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

I just thought it would be a good idea as the car is bare and the ideal time.

Also if the cars raced in the future it'll be a sorted car.

DamirGTI

If the car use will be daily drive - i would certainty stiffen up the shell by seam welding rather than fitting a cage in a road/daily drive car .

D

• Like 1

bigalthenutter

dont bother seam welding only way you will twist that on a track is smashing it up. Its a long drawn out job to do for very little benefit a cage and strut braces will sufice. only thing i would seam weld is the seam between the floor pan and bulkhead as these tend to part over time.

welshpug

I guess you have never experienced the difference between a caged car on stiff springs and an uncaged car..

It all adds up, and if you've got it all apart to sort corrosion you might as well.

• Like 1

dcc

Even a subtle modification tot he front end such as seam welding makes a monumental difference which you might end up chasing for months by altering front track and suspension geometry.

there is a lot of information about the benefits of seam welding online.

I will be doing my engine bay and sills this weekend.

Ill take some photos to show you the areas I will be doing

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

I planned to start welding mine this weekend but I'm too busy with another project, i look forward to your photos

309jazzpanda

As has been said it is worth it in the long run if its all apart anyway I say go for it, get a heat gun and a scraper to get the the original sealant out. Otherwise in a years time you'll think I really wish I had done it while it was apart