• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bigalthenutter

Rotten Vin Plate

bigalthenutter

is it possible to get a vin plate re stamped as mine is rotten ?

welshpug

I believe you can order one from Peugeot, unusual for it to be "rotten" though, as it is aluminium :unsure:

Anthony

Unless you mean where the VIN is stamped on the scuttle panel above the brake servo, which can/does rust.

bigalthenutter

no not the stamp on scuttle tray the aluminium plate which is riveted i have had a few that have gone around the rivet holes alloy and steel rot each other on bare material contact.

MiniGibbo

Any engineering shop with press tools should be able to make you the little alloy plate.

dogboy1066

Bi metallic corrosion!

There used to be sellers on the 'bay who supplied replacement vin plates, not stamped. I bought one for a non Peugeot.

You can buy the stamp letters from machine mart, but a machining/engineering work shop or old fashioned hardware store may be able to stamp it for you.

bigalthenutter

bi metalexactly ! Lol i have a set of stamps may have a go at making one see how it goes .

Tom Fenton

If its only around the rivet holes I would personally drill a couple of new holes say opposite corners and screw or rivet it back on. It will be pretty obvious why thaty has been done, whereas a wonky home made VIN plate will raise alarm bells with the rozzers/MOT man/potential buyer etc.

• Like 1

MikeC

Maybe clear anodize the plate, won't react/rot then.

bigalthenutter

none of the above are an option as its for 100% original restoration and i know you can get it anodised silver and its barley noticable but i need a good plate to start with.

il have one made up from pug think thats best bet

ORB

For a 100% original restoration, I would want the original vin plate....

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

none of the above are an option as its for 100% original restoration and i know you can get it anodised silver and its barley noticable but i need a good plate to start with.

il have one made up from pug think thats best bet

Original and restoration are kind of mutually exclusive. If restoring, you are going to have to replace parts. If you want originality, you have to accept the patina.

bigalthenutter

Original and restoration are kind of mutually exclusive. If restoring, you are going to have to replace parts. If you want originality, you have to accept the patina.

this is true but why discard a well used gti as not original? things wear out and have to be replaced even on very low millage examples the tyres will not be factory original neither brake pads or shoes etc. if paintwork has to be redone or a windscreen has to be replaced it makes no odds, no 205 will be absolutley original showroom condition unless its never been driven. so long as nothing is modified to me that is original. restoring is returning it back to its former original glory.

MikeC

You can get it anodised clear which involves it not being dipped in the dye.

farmer

You will never get it 100% original as stated.

the parts are just not out there , even I have to make compromises with colour etc.

• Like 1