• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Castorkid

Negative Effects Of Negative Camber?

Castorkid

I bought my 205gti with 309 front arms and 306 rear arms already fitted. It's razor sharp on turn in, but does lack high speed stability and is quite keen on tramlining. Could this characteristic be due to the negative camber built in to my set up? Other than the arms, I'm running a slightly lowered fast road set up on 195 50 15 AD08s.

welshpug

have you tried different tyres?

I run 309 arms and don't get "tramlining" I'm on 195 50 PE2's

the 306 arms don't give much more camber, and the toe is greater from memory so should be as stable as standard trailing arms, ZX arms is what will sharper turn in noticeably, whereas the opposite end of the scale Xsara arms with the most toe in will give greater high speed stability.

or at least, that's the theory!

Castorkid

Thanks Welshpug. I was thinking of trying 888s next. Could adjustable top mounts be used to dial out the negative camber of the 309 arms so that I can experiment with this aspect of set up?

allanallen

Where's your tracking set? Sounds like you're running toe out? If you are either man up or try them parallel or slightly toe'd in if your feeling particularly feminine :D

allanallen

The camber you're running is perfectly acceptable for a fast road car, you should see improved tyre wear to boot. To experiment you could fit adjustable top mounts, although it's a proven mod used by many so I think you're barking up the wrong tree so to speak.

Castorkid

Had the tracking done a couple of months ago and I asked the nice man for the full on standard lady boy setting please ;)

allanallen

To the book then? Is that not masses of toe in? Not good on a fwd IMO

Castorkid

Yep factory toe in. It's lowered on eibachs and challenge dampers at the front with PTS 21mm bars and a 19mm rear arb. In running Tarmac rear dampers and the handling is lovely and neutral under 70-80 mph. Above this, it's not wildly unstable, but I'm planning another ring trip and would like to improve its composure in the high speed stuff.

welshpug

Standard toe in setting is only 1.0mm.