• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Stubborn Tube Bearing Removal

chipstick

I'm having a bit of a mare on what should be a simple step.

I'm trying to remove the old tube bearings from my 309 tube ready for reassembly.

I bent the needles etc in and they came out in seconds leaving the outer casing. I have been trying to no avail to bend them and get them out. As soon as try and knock them inwards the curved bit just cracks and shears off rather than pulling the side of the hearing in with it.

I'm cautious of the tube end as I obviously don't want to damage it.

This is what I'm finding:

05B5C4E4-3D7D-47AA-919A-1886E353E4F0-523

As much as I try and get a thin screwdriver down the side of the casing and the tube it puts a nick in the casing and effectively smudges it. If I go to mad I'm worried of nicks and damage to the tube.

I can't be the first person to get a stubborn pair. Any suggestions?

M@tt

Poke the anti roll bar through the tube and have it touch the inside bearing edge then tap the antiroll bar with a soft mallet from the other end. Should be able to free it that way.

Other way is hacksaw blade through it

Tom Fenton

Die grinder with a carbide burr on it and carefully grind away at the bearing casing. Don't go right through. Once it is thin enough you will then be able to get behind it and collapse it inwards.

philfingers

I use a narrow, maybe 5-8mm chisel, get it under and drive it in. this will bend the bearing in and then you can twist it and get it out. I've used an old small pin punch ground to a chisel, works well

stuart

Old bent go kart axle used to drive out from opposite side works for me :lol:

Exhaust tube of suitable size is a perfect fit inside the beam tube to knock new ones in too ;)

Edited by stuart