• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hudson

205 Hydraulic Handbrake

hudson

Any tips I've fitted hydraulic handbrake to my car braided hoses throughout removed the standard load sensing valve and fitted a bias valve inline both rear calipers are new running standard Mintex pads struggling to get it to work it seems very hard to pull will lock up on loose or wet Tarmac no chance if its dry anyone any advice or ideas please ? Ps can't use vertical handbrake

allanallen

I have the same problem, it's made worse on mine due to the super soft rear tyres I use. Just fitted some m1144 pads to the rear though and it seems alot better already! I'll report back after the 061 at the weekend, if they're no better it's having drums! ????

Jarrus

larger discs would help a lot, larger disc will give more leverage thus more braking power with the same amount of effort on the hand brake, meaning you shouldnt have to pull the handle out the floor to get the rears to lock up,

oonip

Could you reduce the size of the master cylinder used to actuate rear calipers? Or is it the same master cylinder for front and rear?

hudson

Any idea on size and how would this work better with being smaller genuine question not a clever remark

oonip

Well if you reduce the m/cyl bore size you create a higher line pressure for the same input force. Difficult to say, How is the handbrake plumbed in at the moment?

205wrc

First thing is HOW is it fitted. Where is the pivot point? It's critical to get it in the correct place. I've seen a lot mounted behind the handbrake mounting, on top of the tunnel. This is too far back. I have a picture somewhere of one that actually locks up Dunlop Super Soft Slick tyres on dry tarmac!!

Another problem is the size of the piston in the caliper. It's a bit on the small size.

Tom Fenton

First thing is HOW is it fitted. Where is the pivot point? It's critical to get it in the correct place. I've seen a lot mounted behind the handbrake mounting, on top of the tunnel. This is too far back. I have a picture somewhere of one that actually locks up Dunlop Super Soft Slick tyres on dry tarmac!!

Another problem is the size of the piston in the caliper. It's a bit on the small size.

Interested to see the picture please if you can dig it out?

205wrc

Interested to see the picture please if you can dig it out?

56437dff-c194-4daf-aaee-71c7b5111ad6_zps

• Like 1

allanallen

56437dff-c194-4daf-aaee-71c7b5111ad6_zps

Obviously the pivot point is critical but how is moving the cylinder closer beneficial? My pivot point is virtually the same as yours but the cylinder is further back, it pushes on the cylinder at the same angle etc just with a 2" longer rod. im struggling to see how the one in the picture works better?

harryskid

I've 306 calipers on mine!

DRTDVL

I run 1.6 gti fronts (the piston part) with the rear pad carrier from the 205 which works awesomely. I have had to put in an adjustable bias valve to take lots of rear brake out due to the increased rear brake power but the hand brake is epic!

mikeyd

my cylinder is set back further than that but similar fixing to h/brake lever

uses .625 bore and will lock up rear no problem on dry tarmac on slicks using ebc yellow pads

Mac Crash

I'm sure it's a daft question but need to check... Hydraulic hand brake is pointless with drum brakes yes? because it's not going to achieve anything that the cables don't?

welshpug

It'll eliminate the issue of stretching cables.

And

Depends on witch width drum you run and wheel cylinder size but it can work as well as a disc can, OK disc is better but only on hot Tarmac tyres, I run 266mm disc on the rear with 306 calipers and mintex m1155 pads and a 0.7 handbrake master cylinder now but you still need to be aggressive with it, before that I had the wider drum and biggest wheel cylinder option and a 0.65 handbrake master cyilnder.

Biggles

Any tips I've fitted hydraulic handbrake to my car braided hoses throughout removed the standard load sensing valve and fitted a bias valve inline both rear calipers are new running standard Mintex pads struggling to get it to work it seems very hard to pull will lock up on loose or wet Tarmac no chance if its dry anyone any advice or ideas please ? Ps can't use vertical handbrake

Is your valve upstream of the handbrake m/cyl ?

The "hard to pull" comment suggests to me the ratio is too low - ie where the clevis for the m/cyl mounts to the lever is too far from the pivot point of the lever.

Mac Crash

Is your valve upstream of the handbrake m/cyl ?

The "hard to pull" comment suggests to me the ratio is too low - ie where the clevis for the m/cyl mounts to the lever is too far from the pivot point of the lever.

it's an old thread... didn't see the point to create a new one when question could be added here.....