• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Roon

1.6 Box Ratios On A Gti 6 Engine.

Roon

Hi.

Have searched but as with most forums its total rubbish in answering my question.

Currently running a gti6 engine on a 1.9 box be3.

Intrigued at what difference a 1.6 would make as the ratios are shorter. But is it livable ie RPM at 70 and what do they max out at. And are they any weaker than a 1.9.

Thanks in advance.

stef205

In my opinion 1.6 boxes are terrible on a gti6 I speak from experience 70mph is at 4k I think I'd stick with your 1.9 box.

Roon

Haha thought so. I use to run a FRP box on a FRP engine in my old ford and that revved at 4.2k at 70mph fuel economy was horrific!

Was just thinking for track days as it does a lot of daily but a track day every 2 months usually.

Anthony

It never ceases to amaze me people complaining that 1.6 'boxes are intolerable on a 16v, when they're absolutely fine on a 1.6 GTi

A 1.6 'box makes a 16v 205 fun and frantic, and feels far more "alive" than it does with a 1.9 'box

Fuel economy in my experience is little different between a 1.6 and 1.9 gearbox

• Like 2

harryskid

They go like the clappers with a 1.6 box and the right final drive! :)

Roon

Am tempted as I lived with it for 2 years and I now do a lot less miles than I use to.

Don't get me wrong it goes like death now. Standard engine but rolled 177.7 hp last month so goes well.

Just think instead of spending hundreds on cams etc I could spend a lot less on a 1.6 box and make it scary again for a little while.

Anyone know what they top out in 5th? Don't want to be smashing the limiter down lavant straight at goodwood again lol.

• Like 1

Anthony

Goodwood? Doubt it, although you will likely hit the limiter at the 'Ring easily enough.

From memory, a 1.6 'box gives around 135mph @ 7200rpm

Roon

Yeah live around the corner so makes sense to go there when you cost up petrol travel etc.

That's alright then heard whispers of 120 and that's just to short.

Think I'm convinced 1.6 box it is!!!

What are the points to look out for on a second hand box to make sure its all in good workonf order?

Roon

If anyone has a 1.6 box in perfect working order I have cash waiting.

Anthony

That's alright then heard whispers of 120 and that's just to short.

That sounds more like a 1.6/1.9 gearbox fitted with a 4.4 (Mi16) final drive, which yes, I agree is rather short for a road car!

1.6 gearbox is basically 10% shorter than your current 1.9 gearbox (4.06 vs 3.69 final drive)

Roon

Thanks Anthony I hate being a total noob I use to to be the man with the knowledge. But that's all ford and useless now.

Should have one already lined up :).

petert

In my opinion 1.6 boxes are terrible on a gti6 I speak from experience 70mph is at 4k I think I'd stick with your 1.9 box.

Rubbish. I have a hybrid box in my S16 powered 405 daily driver. It's made up of 1.6L 1st to 4th and an Mi16x4 5th, with a 4.43:1 cwp. It's awesome on the freeway and the overall fifth is fractionally lower than a 1.6L 5th.

ie

4.06 x 0.865 = 3.52:1

4.43 x 0.81 = 3.59:1

Nobody ever complains that 5th is too low in an Mi16x4.

welshpug

Thats because there arent any left :lol:

With 16v youll still get easily over 120 with a 4.4 on a 1.6/1.9 gearset, iirc a standard 1.6 8v will nudge 125 ;)

Edited by welshpug

Roon

Christ you can play about with them!

Mine revs to 7300 apparently. Only found that out on the dyno lol!

petert

Thats because there arent any left

Sorry, I'll rephrase it.

Nobody ever complained that an Mi16x4 5th was too low.

I should also add that my car gets 40-43mpg on the freeway.

Anthony

With 16v youll still get easily over 120 with a 4.4 on a 1.6/1.9 gearset, iirc a standard 1.6 8v will nudge 125 ;)

No, it really won't, as you'll be sat on the rev limiter before you hit 120 on a 1.6 GTi with a 4.4 FD. Indeed, a 1.6 GTi on a standard 1.6 GTi gearbox is barely geared for that 125mph you mention before hitting the limiter, and a 4.4 final drive shortens everything by another 10% odd.

1.9 ratios and a 4.4 final drive give something in the region of 120mph @ 7000rpm.

5th gear with that combination is approximately the same as 4th on a standard 1.9 'box (approximately 17mph/1000rpm)

sickomotorsport

My 309 when It had the 1.9 8 valve sat on the rev limiter in 5th at 125 mph, that was with a 1.6 box.