• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
d7ve_b

Rear Arb End Plate Seals - Cure For Minor Knocking?

d7ve_b

I have a minor knocking coming from the rear of the car when changing direction, I've been underneath and checked everything for tightness but the noise remains. If I lift the OS trailing arm independently I think I can hear a slight noise which sounds like the ARB contacting the inside of the beam tube. When I recently had the ARB out I noticed I didn't have any ARB seals on the end. Do you think fitting these would help? Are they normally necessary?

Spec of the car is GTI6 trailing arms and shortened GTI6 ARB.

Tom Fenton

There were definitely bushes there when I built it, I can't remember if they were the rubber type or if I made solid nylon ones for it.

Edit to add,

If you decide to put the rubbers back then it is 306GTI6 ones you need, NOT 205 ones as the 205 ones won't fit.

d7ve_b

Ah ok thanks Tom. Maybe they've walked down the beam tube then (I didn't have a look down when I pulled the ARB out) or have come off when the ARB end plate bolt went walkies and allowed the ARB to swing freely :blink:. This is what I was presented with when I pulled the ARB out:

arbend.jpg

Are the seals available from the dealers? I was thinking of buying these: http://www.spoox.co.uk/en/rear-suspension/2150-peugeot-205-rear-antiroll-bar-end-plate-seal.html until you rightly pointed out that I'll need GTi6 items.

I want to get some kind of seal in there to hopefully get rid of the mild knocking....

Anthony

Lack of the rubber bushes will definately cause a knock noise, and one assumes impare the performance of the ARB to some degree, so get some fitted.

The 306 seals are quite a bit thinner than the 205 ones (because the end plate is bigger) but that means that they can be easily dislodged and pushed in if you're not careful when removing and refitting the ARB - I suspect that the bush is there in the tube, having been dislodged when you pushed the ARB home again after it came loose.

Looking at the picture, you'll probably want to clean up where the ARB bush sits too before fitting the new one.

d7ve_b

Thanks Anthony. I'll get the ARB out again and have a look down the tube. It's good to know this could cure the noise!

In prep for the seal being shot, Servicebox has two seals listed for a GTI6, part numbers 5174 03 and 5179 10......the latter looks like the seal I need from comparing it to pics on the net..

I'll use a dremel with a polishing wheel on to give the ARB a good clean before mounting the bush.

Tom Fenton

12 spunking quid for that rubber bush ?!?!

Have you got some accurate measuring tackle Dave, if so measure the ID of the shaft, and the OD of the ARB end plate and I'll make you some nylon ones.

jord294

Looks to me there is no shoulder for the black bush to it on.

Arb end cap usually has about 15mm for the bush to sit on. But that looks like someone has cut it away.

d7ve_b

12 spunking quid for that rubber bush ?!?!

Have you got some accurate measuring tackle Dave, if so measure the ID of the shaft, and the OD of the ARB end plate and I'll make you some nylon ones.

:lol:

Unfortunately I haven't got any accurate measuring tackle or I'd take you up on that :(

Looks to me there is no shoulder for the black bush to it on.

Arb end cap usually has about 15mm for the bush to sit on. But that looks like someone has cut it away.

No idea, this is the first ARB end cap I've seen.

jord294

IMHO, without the proper shoulder for the bush to sit on, you will constantly have play.

I don't know who supplied you that arb, but it's not been done right!

Only other answer is, to make up some sort of nylon sleeve to fit over the arb and fit nicely in the trailing arm shaft.

Personally, I'd bin it, and do the job properly!

Tom Fenton

I supplied the ARB, it is modified and cut down, I have done plenty like that now, with no problems, supplying people with an uprated rear anti roll bar at a good price. There is still an adequate are for the bush to sit on, the gentle change of section is required to prevent stress raisers and cracking. That the end plate is still properly attached after whatever mileage has been covered shows it is done well as otherwise they break.

d7ve_b

I know nothing about these ARB's (as is probably obvious) but what I do know is that the car handles great with it on, it's not cracked yet despite abuse from me, and Tom did me a great deal on it. With the bushing sorted it'll be bob on.

I'll post back when I've investigated the tube for the rogue bush, if it's not present or fit for purpose then I'll get the ARB measured up.

welshpug

Thanks Anthony. I'll get the ARB out again and have a look down the tube. It's good to know this could cure the noise!

In prep for the seal being shot, Servicebox has two seals listed for a GTI6, part numbers 5174 03 and 5179 10......the latter looks like the seal I need from comparing it to pics on the net..

I'll use a dremel with a polishing wheel on to give the ARB a good clean before mounting the bush.

yep, the yellow neopreneish seals and the black thin rubber bush (called a seal on servicebox) should be about a tenner in total for a pair of both.

to draw the end plate on correctly you need a long setscrew or piece of studding, a large washer and a nut, and a 1mm feeler blade.

place the blade between trailing arm and end plate, thread studding/setscrew into ARB, wind end plate on with the nut.