• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eob

Springs + Angle Grinder = ?

eob

So I essentially have two sets of springs for my 205 GTi. One is a set of OZ lowering springs which drop the car about 45mm and stiffen up the ride no end, the second is a set of brand new 'standard' springs.

My problem is that:

- The standard [new, pattern] springs leave the car at a comedy ride height. About 30mm too high at least! It looks like it's been modified as a gravel spec car for the Paris Dakar. Perfect handling though.

- The lowering springs, inversely, have a perfect stance, little bit too low perhaps, but, ride far too harshly.

To cure the issue, I was planning on getting Faulkners to make me up a set of "just right" springs which are marginally harder lb/ft than standard but about 20mm lower.

Except perhaps that it suddenly dawned on me that the standard springs, with a section cut out of 'em, would accomplish the exact same thing. I actually have a set of four so... I can experiment.

Where I'm stumped is how much spring to hack off will result in how much of a drop in ride height?

(...I know this sounds wonderfully agricultural, and it is, but trust me, it'll be a great way to gauge what springs to get custom wound eventually)

ORB

Hmm, cutting springs. Bodgetastic!

• Like 2

omega

one coil will do it

stef205

You can't cut them the top /bottom coil needs to be flat for it to sit correctly in the shock.

Henry Yorke

This is why Eibach springs are so great for road use. They give the right amount of drop with the right level of comfort.

As said, cutting a spring will mean it will not seat correctly on the strut top or base and has potential to become mis-seated and cause uneven handling.

I did once cut a set of old GTI springs as I took off my Spax PSX kit before part exchanging a 205 XS that was going straight to auction. The rear beam was lowered a lot and I had to balance it some how. It drove better on standard XS suspension and chopped springs that it did on the full Spax "adjustable" kit...... I learned something that day and have never fitted crap suspension since!!

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Bad idea..

glenwah

Your missing the point guys, he isn't planning on driving like it, just cutting the coils to try ride heights, all I can say is if you have spares then cut them a bit at a time until you achieve what it is your after.

stef205

You still won't be able to fit them as they won't sit correctly!

eob

Replies much appreciated... :) I did have a quick look and was curious as to how they'd sit properly in the cups with the 'flat' end coils gone but presumed they would've seated nicely... Faulkners here I come.. :) I'm guessing 100lb/ft and a 30mm drop would be perfect for what I want to achieve, but, either way custom made springs aren't that expensive.

PS. Should see the standard replacements from a certain well known european car parts retailer. The thing looks like it's about to auto-rotate off a runway. I'm presuming the combination of non-GTi top mounts and Xsara hollow-cast DTurbo hubs also affects ride height.

pug_ham

PS. Should see the standard replacements from a certain well known european car parts retailer. The thing looks like it's about to auto-rotate off a runway. I'm presuming the combination of non-GTi top mounts and Xsara hollow-cast DTurbo hubs also affects ride height.

What is the freelength of the springs you've been supplied?

Haynes give a measurement for the standard factory springs in the older style workshop & overhaul manuals of 330mm iirc & every set of standard springs I've removed have measured pretty much that exactly.

The top mounts are the same over the whole 205 range but I can check the hub height for the hollow cast hubs compared to standard 205 ones, although I doubt there will be much, if any difference.

g

eob

No need to go to that much trouble. If there's one thing I hate most about forums, it's guys who want some other chap to hit the workshop and do a bunch of measuring and research on their behalf ;) I measured the free length, IIRC, at 340mm. What I think is happening is the retailer is specifying the standard, in terms of lb/ft and free length, that are closest to the Peugeot factory settings, but which happen to be about 10mm too high.

I love how the Eibach springs (previously stated as OZ, apologies, modified brand overload :P) look on the car and they feel extremely solid, but, I've just an issue with how the car feels in that you can feel the rear is softer than the front. I want to get it only very slightly stiffer than the factory settings and the factory ride height, maybe about 20mm lower at its maximum. I reckon 100lb/ft springs plus 320mm free length would be spot on.

TooMany2cvs

Cut a coil out of the middle, rather than one end?

• Like 1

Jarrus

maybe you.could buy 21mm bara for the rear to balance it out?

eob

Overkill really. I live in a rough neighbourhood in terms of tarmac quality and I always thought the 205 GTi handled best when it was just kept 'right' in terms of... lots (and lots!) of fresh suspension components aka arms, track rod ends, etc and plenty of 'em running as as close to stock suspension as possible.

(...that said, when you can't get the official Peugeot shock absorbers anymore I do think the standard Bilsteins are a lovely upgrade, but stock springs for road use for sure. I've read on here that some people are even using 300lb/ft springs, holy mother :P:D:))

eob

May god bless England and her tradition of motoring based lunacy. Faulkners do a bunch of 305mm springs (perfect for a 25mm drop) with the 205's ID off the shelf for peanuts. I reckon 110lb/ft would be just the ticket.

http://www.dfaulknersprings.com/sp225120.htm