• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Leon

Front Valance Repair

Leon

Got some big holes in my front valance.

I've tried repairing a valance in the past with glass fibre but it didn't take at all. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Valance.jpg

SkyQuake

Leon,

I did the valance on my GTX after a head on shunt with glass fibre. It was split top to bottom, and only held together with a thread of plastic.

All I did was clean the surface with a solvent, and then heavily abraid it with sandpaper. I used a quite large area either side of the split (~100mm), and built up several layers of glass on top. It's been fine like that for two years now, if anything, it's the strongest part of the valance!

Mike

allye

I hate to say it but just get another? readily available.

Leon

Where are they readily available?

Leon

No decent ones still for sale that I can find from the last few months (and I'm not going back any further than that!) and one on Ebay which is in worse shape than mine.

We must have differing opinions on what "readily available" means ;)

harryskid

Leon,

I did the valance on my GTX after a head on shunt with glass fibre. It was split top to bottom, and only held together with a thread of plastic.

All I did was clean the surface with a solvent, and then heavily abraid it with sandpaper. I used a quite large area either side of the split (~100mm), and built up several layers of glass on top. It's been fine like that for two years now, if anything, it's the strongest part of the valance!

Mike

I was lookining to repair mine after a shunt on a rally last year and i thought fibre glass but the thing is so flexi being some sort of plastic i bit the bullet and got a new second hand one. Though i still have the other one and will experiment with it at some time!

allye

No decent ones still for sale that I can find from the last few months (and I'm not going back any further than that!) and one on Ebay which is in worse shape than mine.

We must have differing opinions on what "readily available" means ;)

Have you put up a wanted thread?

farmer

Imperial sell these, also i can get hold of a genuine one if required.

Leon

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I cannot afford a new genuine or pattern part so repair is likely to be my only option.

johnnyboy666

bit of epoxy or something behind it with a bit of plastic to brace it then skim it over?

unless you dont mind painting one, I might have a spare in my garage, I'll check when I get a chance

(In fact I do have one, I'm just not sure if its damaged)

• Like 1

Leon

I've got a spare, but when I pulled it out of storage I discovered it was in about five pieces! Anyone know what cosmetic filler would best work on plastic like this?

welshpug

You need that plastic welded, if you have a spare in pieces you can use that to patch up the best one.

harryskid

You need that plastic welded, if you have a spare in pieces you can use that to patch up the best one.

Lets see you do it then!

• Like 1

farmer

Lets see you do it then!

Don't ever doubt the "Peugeot god" !!

• Like 1