• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rich_p

Just Thinking About Free Camber On The Front Of A 205/309..

Rich_p

I’ve heard there are methods used by stock hatch racers to gain front camber without any actual modifications. Adding washers under one side of the top mount is one I believe.

I was also thinking that slotting the holes for the top mount bolts could work? Just by a few mm to allow the strut to sit at more of an angle.

Obviously for those running standard struts clearance would be an issue but for those of us with coilovers could it be a possibility?

If so has anyone tried it?

Henry 1.9GTi

some of the minis raced at work have standard top mounts and do exactly that, slot the body to create an adjustable top mount. cheapest camber ever! :)

Goliath

Adding washers under one side of the top mount is one I believe.

I may be missing something but I am struggling to see how this would work. Surely adding washers under (presumably) the inside edge of the top mount would push the base of the shock further towards the outside of the car, so to get it to mate up with the hub you would need longer (309) wishbones wouldn't you? Which begs the question, why bother? Just use 309 wishbones in the first place.

• Like 1

Anthony

Rich has a 309, so 309 wishbones give standard camber and no easy/cheap option to increase it unlike 205's.

Rich_p

I may be missing something but I am struggling to see how this would work. Surely adding washers under (presumably) the inside edge of the top mount would push the base of the shock further towards the outside of the car, so to get it to mate up with the hub you would need longer (309) wishbones wouldn't you? Which begs the question, why bother? Just use 309 wishbones in the first place.

The washers thing was something someone on here mentioned. They said it was a trick involving washers that the stock hatchers did and I assumed that's how it was done. I can't think where else you could put them?

As mentioned this is on a 309 so adding 309 wishbones is not an option. If it were easier than it is to use 306/405 items I'd consider that.

Of course machined hubs is something that can be done but I was just thinking of cheaper ways that's all.

Edited by Rich_p

Goliath

In that case I think your idea of slotting the top mount holes is the best bet. I know bmw 1 series come with slotted holes from the factory with a small locator pin to set the camber, so I guess it can't pose too many problems.

calvinhorse

Can't wait to see the length of these slots to gain any significant amount of camber, is there enough metal?

Also how would putting washers under one side of a top mount gain any camber?

Edited by calvinhorse

Rich_p

No idea if there's enough metal, it was just an idea that popped into my head so thought I'd see if anyone had tried it.

Also as previously mentioned the washers thing was something someone on here mentioned. They said there was a trick involving washers that the stock hatchers did and I assumed that's how it was done. I can't think where else you could put them?

engine killer

slotting the holes seems to be a simple solution to adjustable camber OR castor.

but as per my friend's experience with "slots", if you thrash a corner very hard and run on track's kerb too often, this may push/slide the top mount.

post-4860-0-57864400-1368098194_thumb.jpg