• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
d7ve_b

306 Gti6 Rear Bearing Removal - Tool?

d7ve_b

Ok, so I have 306 GTi6 rear hubs (discs) on the back of the pug and it sounds like the OS bearing is on it's way out. I believe I need a hub puller to pull the hub and bearing off? If I'm right will one of these do the job http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-13916-UNIVERSAL-CAR-WHEEL-HUB-PULLER-BOLT-CENTRES-100MM-115MM-/190647810105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c637eb839

If not, what will?

Cheers,

Dave.

Tom Fenton

Large hammer and drift, knock the stub axle out of the back of the trailing arm to release the bearing.

Paul_13

Have a few hub nuts spare, don't hit the stub axle directly. Wind a hub nut on and hit that.

Tom Fenton

Buy an ally drift like this, won't damage the stub axle then as the ally is softer than the steel. This is basically what I use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUMINIUM-ROUND-25MM-X-250MM-BAR-ENGINEERING-MODEL-MAKING-/140891929810?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item20cdd03cd2#ht_249wt_958

• Like 2

d7ve_b

So I basically remove wheel, disc, caliper, hub nut, then locate that bar on the stub axle on the inside of the trailing arm and hammer it out? I expect that it will come out reasonably easily as it wasn't long ago that they went in...

Cheers chaps, just need to confirm its the bearing and then get one sourced...

Tom Fenton

Stub axle has a shoulder on the inner side, so you hit it back through the bearing, e.g. towards the centre of the car. I can't remember if I removed the stub axles or not when I built your beam. You'll want a decent hammer e.g. a 4lb lump.

d7ve_b

Ok, thanks Tom. I take it the new bearing will need pressing in? Does the stub axle relocate easily?

I'm sure it'll become clearer once I get under it!

welshpug

Bearing will slide on most of the way, the nut will seat it when torqued up.

Stub pin will seat fully when nut is torqued as well, use the allen key hole to line the splines up.

Tom Fenton

The rear wheel bearing comes complete in the hub. No pressing needed. The stub axle can be hammered back into place easily enough.

d7ve_b

Thanks fella's, rapid informative responses as usual :D

d7ve_b

Update, it's not the bearing. Pulled the OS rear wheel off and found the ARB and end plate hanging out of the beam tube. The bracket holding the brake cable was also hanging off and scraping the inside of the wheel rim, hence the scraping noise. The bolt that previously held the bracket and ARB end plate secure is nowhere to be found......

Anyone know the bolt size/thread so I can replace it?

welshpug

M8x1.25.