• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
John_B

Problem Fitting 1.6 Mintex Bendix Pads

John_B

I bought these pads ages ago, had trouble fitting them so thought I'd leave them in the shed for a couple of years but strangely now I'm having another go the problem is still there. They're the Mintex 1155 pads for 1.6 Bendix calipers.

P1050086b_zps4e78d35c.jpg

First off the two on the right above are labelled R and the two on the left L. Don't laugh but does this mean the right of the disc, so you have a R and L on each side of the car, or that both Rs go on the right side of the car? Just from the shapes it makes more sense to me that you have an R and and L on each side?

Now the real problem is that whatever way I put the pads in on both calipers, 2 of the 4 always have a large gap between the outer edge of the pad and disc?

P1050084b_zps9a905637.jpg

It looks better in the pic really it is quite a big gap. 2 of the 4 fit really well:

P1050075b_zpsc8061df1.jpg

Can anyone help, has anyone had this problem before?

welshpug

looks like the pad material wasn't put on the backing in the right place, I doubt it will cause any issue as long as its on the friction surface at the inside as well as outer edge.

pic from haynes detailing how to fit the offset Bendix pads.

8688891145_9469287c0f_z.jpg

pug_ham

First off the two on the right above are labelled R and the two on the left L. Don't laugh but does this mean the right of the disc, so you have a R and L on each side of the car, or that both Rs go on the right side of the car? Just from the shapes it makes more sense to me that you have an R and and L on each side?

I'd fit one R & L one each side so they sit as in the pic from haynes. (drivers side has R against piston, L against carrier & opposite on nearside)

The gap between the edge of the disc & pads isn't a concern imo, its quite common they don't cover the whole disc surface but you're missing the two springs for under the leading edge of the pads in the pics you've posted.

g

John_B

Thanks both for your help. I realised after I saw your pic welshpug that my porters, porters service and haynes all told me the correct pad orientation- oops!

I'm glad you both think they'll be ok, I'll slap them on and see how they go.

I've got the springs, I just chucked the pads and slider in to take the pics.

John_B

OK I know this is getting a bit ridiculous for fitting brake pads but you want them right don't you. Anyway, I've fitted them as show in the haynes.

Driver's

P1050089b_zps05b440bc.jpg

Passenger

P1050090b_zpsc64ce1e7.jpg

But I'm reluctant to leave them like this as I now have the 2 'L' pads on the right and vice versa. I even refreshed my GCSE french for right and left but that didn't help!

Edited by John_B

John_B

I'd fit one R & L one each side so they sit as in the pic from haynes. (drivers side has R against piston, L against carrier & opposite on nearside)

When I do it this way, the hole for the wear sensor is at the bottom which is wrong according to haynes?

pug_ham

When I do it this way, the hole for the wear sensor is at the bottom which is wrong according to haynes?

Tbh, if the wear sensor wires are still there, as long as the sensor hits the disc & will wear out to put the pad light on the dash one as they get low, I wouldn't be to worried about the location compared to the haynes manual but in both of your pictures above, the hole is at the top on both inner pads. :unsure:

g

John_B

Tbh, if the wear sensor wires are still there, as long as the sensor hits the disc & will wear out to put the pad light on the dash one as they get low, I wouldn't be to worried about the location compared to the haynes manual but in both of your pictures above, the hole is at the top on both inner pads. :unsure:

g

Well I ended up putting them in as in the last two pics, with both Rs on the left and both Ls on the right! It's the only way they'd go in as it says in the haynes, porters etc. but it does seem daft.

They seem to work!

welshpug

I think I have spotted what's wrong, the pad carriers are on the wrong sides I believe.

edit: not that it would cause any issue with fitting the pads correctly IIRC, but would give more space for the anti rattle springs to sit.

Edited by welshpug

John_B

Thanks Mei. Do you mean the friction material is on the wrong side of the metal on each pad?

Do you think they're ok as I've fitted them, as in the last two pics?

pug_ham

I think I have spotted what's wrong, the pad carriers are on the wrong sides I believe.

I checked a set of 1.6 bendix calipers yesterday & have to agree, the carriers are one the wrong calipers.

Thanks Mei. Do you mean the friction material is on the wrong side of the metal on each pad?

No, the pads as you have them fitted now are fine imo but the carriers / guides they fit into are fitted on the wrong side, the smaller tab should be to the top & the locking slider tab fits there, not on the side it will be fitted now.

As said though, that won't make difference except the springs will fit properly.

g