• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Odometer Recalibration (Not Sure If I'm Allowed To Ask This?)

johnnyboy666

Ive got some gti clocks for my gt, but the trip counter is broken so I'm replacing the speedo/trip meter module bit with one from a spare set of xs clocks ive got. the problem I have now is setting the correct mileage. so if anybody can advise me by pm that would be great.

PLEASE DON'T POST HOW TO DO IT HERE !

john

Tesstuff

Put the module from your GT in ...or is that bit different?

Edited by Tesstuff

Anthony

From memory, aren't the GTi clocks made by Veglia and the GT/XS clocks by Jaeger?

They're quite different inside and the technique for "clocking" them very different - and I'm not sure how feasible it is to use Jaeger internals on a Veglia face?

If it's just the trip meter reset button not working and feeling like it's not pressing against anything, then they're generally quite easy to fix - usual fault is that the tang on the end of the button breaks off and no longer presses against the bit on the bottom of the trip digits.

johnnyboy666

You're right anthony they are different, but they do fit in with a slight bit of fiddling (and slicing my finger open!) So its the xs ones I need the method for.

The little plastic bit has snapped, but operating the reset bit manually doesnt work either, so I'd rather use the xs ones

Daz I'd rather have it all together before I take the old ones out. Otherwise I'll probably end up with two broken sets and no clocks at all!!

johnnyboy666

Ignor that previous reply, its just occured to me that the speedo reading will be wrong if I put the xs in the gti housing!

So ill need to use the gti ones. Ive managed to get it to reset the trip counter, but cant see how I can repair thw snapped off bit, any tips on that?

Anthony

What I do is shorten the reset pin and have the remaining tang (that used to sit behind) press on the front instead, thus allowing you to reset it.

You must shorten it though, as if you don't. it puts constant pressure on the reset mechanism and the trip won't work/increase.

Hard to describe in words, but it's obvious enough once you've got it apart.

If that tang is broken as well, you'll need to stick something to the reset pin to act as a tang, using a decent amount of epoxy or similar to give it enough strength so that it doesn't break if you push the reset forcefully.

TooMany2cvs

Does it really matter what the odometer says? What's it "right" for, anyway? Not the engine - that spent much of it's life in a different vehicle. Not the suspension - that's a mix of new and used from other vehicles. Not the body - because mileage doesn't give any information about structural condition anyway. So why worry?

johnnyboy666

The little plastic tang bit you mention anthony is snapped off at the base, but I'll have a go at re attaching it and see how that goes.

Toomany2cvs; the only reason really is for the insurance company. I'm sure I could probably send them photos of the before and after clocks to prove the difference in mileage, but I'd prefer it if it was the same. Might look a bit odd on the MOT too.

I wouldn't be too fussed if it want a couple of k but the difference is about 110k miles!

TooMany2cvs

You're on agreed mileage? Ask them if it's going to be a problem. It almost certainly won't be.

Swapping clocks is hardly unusual - and, yes, the MOT certificate will show it, but that's not the end of the world. My old Saab sat on the same mileage for at least four MOTs, then shed 40k+ one year. No worries. The VW's looking like it'll go the same way... The odometer reading isn't part of the test, only there to prevent fraud - which isn't going to be an issue with your car.

johnnyboy666

still looking for a way to do this if anyone can help?

I agree that it shouldn't really be an issue, but I'd just like it to be the same mileage if possible