• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
j_turnell

Gti Shocks On A Td, Valving, Open & Closed Lengths?

j_turnell

My sisters little TD has a knackerd n/s/f shock, so to save her some cash i was going to bang on some spare oe gti dampers i have kicking around. Now i know people have used gti shocks and springs, which lowers the front end, but are there any issues with retaining the diesel springs and using the gti dampers?

I wouldn't imagine there will be any issues, maybe a slight change in ride comfort, just wondering about the damper open length as i know the diesel springs are very long?

cheers, James.

Tom Fenton

I'm sure it will be OK, I'd just bang them on personally. Otherwise I am sure you could get some pretty cheap replacements from such as BuyPartsBuy etc.

welshpug

I doubt they will be far different, the XU9J1 Gentry with manual box is listed as using the same damper as the DT, these typically are a little softer sprung and damped than the full fat gti.

Unfortunately there are dozens of springs listed for "diesel" and "injection on servicebox without any further distinction than paint colour stripes so pinpointing is rather tricky.

I believe Graham has experience of swapping springs and dampers on STDT's and gti's.

Edited by welshpug

j_turnell

Cheers chaps. Just for future reference, i ended up fitting some Gti-6 dampers i had kicking about, they were pretty much identical in terms of damper travel. Drives pretty nice too.