• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
the matt

Help With Hub Identification

the matt

I've tried to search, but can't find a definite answer to my problem.

I've got a 1991 Phase 2 1.9GTI.

The rear has been lowered on the torsion beam, the front seems to sit high (we're talking 3.5" gap from tyre to underside of wheel arch).

I'm wondering if someone has put a 306 hub/leg on the N/S, maybe even on both fronts. How can I identify whether this is the case or not?

The N/S front seems to have a very small amount of positive camber at the current ride height. The O/S front appears true and vertical. I've got a camber gauge, but don't have a 100% flat floor to work on to give accurate figures, so apologies for only giving approximates here.

The two front tyres have uneven wear on them too. O/S front is worn more on the inside than the outside, N/S front is worn more on the outside than the inside.

The tyre wear is obviously only an indication of what may be wrong, but the reason I've started investigating is because of the way the car feels on the road. I'm getting understeer on right hand bends, it's the initial turn in that's the problem it just doesn't feel right at all. In the wet it's hideous compared to my lsat 205 and I can't work out what exactly is causing the problem.

Basically, my assumption is that at some point a previous owner has put 306 bits on the car (maybe a knackered wheel bearing or something) as a cheap/easy fix and it's buggered the geometry up.

Both bottom arms are new, I assume they're standard 205 GTI items, not 309 ones, but would also like to reference check those too.

My options as I see it:

Lower the front ride height with new struts and springs as the old Spax ones that are on it are way past their best (maybe they've also fitted 306 struts on it, which would explain it sitting high).

Replace both front hubs with known good 205 1.9 hubs and fit new bearings in them (I assume they're easy enough to source good second hand ones).

As a side note, the rear beam was refurbed at Skip Browns, and there's no knocking, creaking or play, so I think that's all OK. Pretty sure the issue is being caused by the ride height at the front and the positive camber on this N/S front too.

Sorry about the length of the above essay too, just trying to note down all of the potential problems that may be causing my weird handling issues.

welshpug

pics!

205 wishbones have a lattice effect, 309 are plain and 10mm longer.

most 306 hubs are hollow cast not I-beam, and have ABS sensor holes.

the matt

Thanks for the reply (and sorry for the lack of pictures too). I should have mentioned that the front hubs have no ABS sensor holes in them.

The bottom arms are both the latticed type and are both new.

Upon going out to take pictures, maybe the positive camber is all in my head? I guess it was worse just after it had been jacked up. I rolled it back and forth before taking the pictures here:

Front ride height just seems too high:

20130420_173540.jpg

N/S front wheel camber???

20130420_173507.jpg

I just can't understand why it feels so rubbish compared to how I remember my last 205 handling, but then I guess I'm comparing it to my Mini now too. I think I need to fit the lowering springs I've got and fit new front tyres, struts and top mounts as they're creaking too.