• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Professor

Upgrading Suspension - Base Spec To Gti Spec

Mad Professor

Good day all.

On all my past 205's that had base spec suspension I have always upgrade them to gti model spec.

Now we have a 205 GRD (Diesel), the daily runner, used for the school run, etc, etc.

Ever since we got the GRD, there has been something with the handling that seems out of place, and I just can't put my finger on.

The car sticks to the road fine, just like all my other 205's have done, but it just feels like now and then it wants to head for a tree or hedge.

I have had the tracking done, and rechecked since.

It's got two brand new tyres on the front, and the rear tyres have loads of tread.

When we 1st got the GRD the wife complained like mad about the steering being heavy, so one of the 1st upgrades was to fit PAS from a 205 DTurbo.

This made the wife moan less about the steering, but the car still feels out of place compared to my other 205's.

So I am now thinking about removing all the base model suspension, and replace with gti spec suspension.

At this point in time I am out of ideas, besides changing the suspension.

What do you think?

Best Regards.

Tom Fenton

Sounds like classic u/s rear beam to me.

Anthony

Could also be an ovalled hub - typically feels OK-ish to drive, but has unpredicable snatching and changing of line, particularly when cornering.

Mad Professor

Anthony: Your description is very close to how the car feels at times, I will check the hubs for ovalled ball joints over the weekend.

But I am still temped to upgrade to gti spec suspension, as I should already have all the parts needed in my parts shed.

Slo

could be the bushes in the track control arms too, i've just swapped my cti to gti spec and the arms were only 2 years oldish, one was still in good nick the other was bollox'ed the arm had been forcing the bush onto the arb which had in turn forced the arb to push into the centre of the bush giving some free play. my car had unpredictable torque steer and a mind of its own when braking occasionally and made a sound like an owl when going over speed ramps/pot holes

Henry Yorke

I was going to say track control arms too. They are not expensive to replace and you get new ball joints in the process