• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ALEX

Hydraulic Rams Cti Roof

ALEX

Could someone enlighten me on what options were available for the Cti and CJ.

The roof I took off had a couple of gas struts, but it was a bit rusty in several places and the guy who sold me the car gave me a spare frame without gas struts and no mountings for them either. I think there's a lug for a couple of power rams IIRC though.

So I'm guessing the frames are different for electric roofs and manual ones.

Also the engine had a double crank pulley, which I can't think what was for and also there's a bracket (looks from factory) where the Jack goes.

I asked on here before what the bracket was for, but didn't get a reply, I'll look for the thread with the pic again.

I thought all the rams were electric pump but did Pug ever do a belt driven one?

Also what am I looking to pay for a set of rams and pump? there's one on ebay for £150, does this sound right?

Alex

Edited by ALEX

cRaig

The double crank pulley and bracket where the jack goes sounds like the car originally had aircon. The second aux belt run is to drive the compressor, which was originally hung off the bottom of the sump. Is that the bracket, as fitted to mine? http://www.flickr.com/photos/76700695@N05/7057738033/

Cant help you with the roof bits I'm afraid!

Edited by cRaig

Miles

The bracket is for the jack, CTi's used a proper scissor jack over the GTi ones

ALEX

The bracket is for the jack, CTi's used a proper scissor jack over the GTi ones

Never seen one, any pics?

Slo

My manual roof has the gas struts, they look like a smaller version of the boot strut, my electric roof doesn't nor mounts for them either

ALEX

Just bought the rams off Ebay, offered £100 for them.

Hope it fits? I'm gussing I should have the mounts for the pump on the car body somwhere.

No Idea where it all goes though?

What else do I need to convert it ? I now have the power roof style frame and the pump with rams (With Pipework)

Also where does the switch go for the roof, and what does it look like?

The loom I'll make up myself, unless anyone has a spare forsale?

Edit: and a scissor Jack!

Edited by ALEX

Slo

The pump goes in the rear quarter drivers side on my phase 1 i had to cut it out to fit its mounting bracket, also the rear windows are different between manual and electric the switch goes in the coin tray in front of the gear stick oh and the switch is just the same as the

electric window switches

Edited by Slo

ALEX

The pump goes in the rear quarter drivers side on my phase 1 i had to cut it out to fit its mounting bracket, also the rear windows are different between manual and electric the switch goes in the coin tray in front of the gear stick oh and the switch is just the same as the

electric window switches

Mines a phase 1.5 (F plate) I wonder if they accomodated for the changes on the later chassie.

How different are the rear windows? Am I going to need new ones?

Edited by ALEX

Slo

You might possibly be ok with the windows as they may be all the same from phase 1.5 onwards but my manual roof had squarer windows whereas when i fitted my leccy roof it wouldnt close as the matching windows have more of a slope this is to make it easier for the rams to close it

Slo

I've gathered a few pics to give you some idea first these are my manual windows still in after fitting my electric roof you can see the angle difference, i'd read about this so expected it...

IMG_20120306_103747.jpg

the pump fitted to where its meant to be...

DSCN1206.jpg

the switch in the console you should have, the actual tray with the switch in is the same as the normal flat one but it has roof symbols engraved into it painted white

IMG_20120325_193110_zps5467e5e0.jpg

here's a simple wiring diagram to make up the loom its easy peasy, just remember to get relays that pass current open and closed rather than ones that just operate something when activated

wiring.jpg

and last but not least here's an unexpected surprise there are no mounts to bolts the bottoms of the rams too you will have to make some and weld them in, also the plastic covers that go over them are also different to the manual one's, well they are on phase 1 anyway phase 1.5/2 im not so sure others will confirm that for you...

302.jpg

hope that's some help, I sure wish it was all there when I needed it lol

Edited by Slo
  • Like 1

ALEX

Awesome, I owe you a pint!

Do I need new interior plastics around the rams too?

edit:

Sorry you covered that too.... Ha there's a pun there! get it? covered! lol :D .... :mellow: ..... :(

Edited by ALEX

Slo

*Groan* oh i've remember yet another surprise lol the rear door cards are also different :angry: they have a slight cut out to accomodate the different ram covers, nothing a good kitchen devil cant sort out though :ph34r:

ALEX

Looks like it's going to be alot of work, I'm hoping to get the roof on and it finished before the Summer arives... If it arrives.

I might get the manual one blasted and welded up. the bushes look bronze so do you think it i'll be OK to Powdercoat? That is If I can get the Gas struts off.

I'll adapt the roof to electric in time, but I'm going to need a donor car by the looks of it.

Edited by ALEX

Slo

wouldn't bother trying to electric the manual roof as the part where the rams connect to is completely different and missing any sort of mounting and is also the glass area on the manual windows hence the narrower windows, don't be put off its well worth doing

ALEX

I'd need a donor to do it right.

I'd need rear quarter cards, plastic trims, windows, Wiring and switch. If I bought all the parts seperate or off ebay I could have bought a whole CTi.

Not to mention Id have to weld and cut my fresh painted car body.

Slo

Only needs welding on the inside and you've already got the roof, the pump and rams, switch is just a window switch and you can make the loom easy enough

The only things you need are the plastic ram covers and the windows but i had my electric roof on for about a month until i found some proper ones it just means you cant wind them all the way up with the roof closed

The cards you can just cut em down to fit the covers will hide the edges

A donor car would be ideal of course but if you can even find one with a leccy roof to rob parts off its gonna cost you dearly

Door cards on ebay

Post up a pic of your rear windows an inch down and the roof closed its easy enough to tell which type you have

Edited by Slo

ALEX

Is the canvas roofs different?

Not checked what I bought as I bought it seperate off the guy who I bought the car off.

He gave me the electric roof frame too, so I'm wondering if he intended to make it electric

Henry Yorke

Ahh sh!t Alex. I have a couple of sets of pumps and rams and also the centre console with the switch and the plastics. I even have a couple of power hood frames and my brother has some electric hood rear windows. I was not that far from you either! Sorry, I have not been on the forum for a few days.

The power hood usually works off the stop light on the dashboard, but you can bypass that.

ALEX

Ahh sh!t Alex. I have a couple of sets of pumps and rams and also the centre console with the switch and the plastics. I even have a couple of power hood frames and my brother has some electric hood rear windows. I was not that far from you either! Sorry, I have not been on the forum for a few days.

The power hood usually works off the stop light on the dashboard, but you can bypass that.

Sent PM

If I get the windows I might fit the roof using the power roof.

Is the power roof easy enough to open with the rams detached as there's no gastruts on the electric frame, if so I could then fit the rams and wiring at a later date.

i.e. winter when I take it off the road.

Slo

Yes its no different to open than a manual roof